Silkie Hen or Roo???

SilkieLover1403

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2023
Hi there! New to silkies and I’ve just got myself a grey hen, buff roo and splash roo!! However someone has told me that my grey hen might actually be a roo?? Just want some help please!!
The buff and grey are both around 8-9 months old, and the splash is around 4 months.
Buff is the only one so far that crows (I only got splash today but the lady he came from said he crowed yesterday!

I have posted a close up of the grey ‘hen’ and a picture of all 3 together.

Thank you!

IMG_4664.jpeg IMG_4684.jpeg

Hi there! New to silkies and I’ve just got myself a grey hen, buff roo and splash roo!! However someone has told me that my grey hen might actually be a roo?? Just want some help please!!
The buff and grey are both around 8-9 months old, and the splash is around 4 months.
Buff is the only one so far that crows (I only got splash today but the lady he came from said he crowed yesterday!

Thank you!

View attachment 3720971View attachment 3720972
Looks like a roo to me! Hard to tell with silkies though

I don't see any streamers or long hackles in the right above picture. It may be a hen. I don't know what color it is. I think it is a hen.

The big fluffy one in the front in the other picture (splash) does look like a roo. It looks like he has streamers.

Last edited:
I don't see any streamers or long hackles in the right above picture. It may be a hen. I don't know what color it is. I think it is a hen.

The big fluffy one in the front in the other picture (splash) does look like a roo. It looks like he has streamers.
Yep the splash is definitely a Roo! And the grey is a Hen, I got an egg from her!

Thank you!

View attachment 3720971View attachment 3720972
It’s a roo… the waddles at that age give it away.

Back
Top Bottom