Silkie June/July Hatch-Along!

Well, after we took alway all Lola's distractions (sandpit, chicken-watching window, iPhone,) she got down to business and has been on her nest whenever I check on her (she must be getting water since I refilled it today). Today 2 eggs have been pushed out of the nest and broken, I guess she knows something I don't. Candled 3 white eggs and I see movement in each! My 8-year-old son is thrilled.

Great news on the movement! :thumbsup

Update:

Going to be doing the first candling on them tomorrow night.

They'll be 10 days (one will be 9 days). I'm just hoping my cockerel has actually been performing well :lau

Update:

9 out of 10 eggs have developed!

One egg marked A from my Cuckoo Silkie only got 1 vein development (was cracked open to check). This egg was one that was taken out of our 'to be eaten tray'. It's most likely that it has been roughly handled when put into the tray. Was always worth a try!

I'm surprised that the egg marked F has quite a bit of delevopment in it. It was Fizz's first ever egg so I had little hope in it getting this far.

Some of them seem more developed than others. Some are going crazy in the egg whereas others are just chilling.

I'll most likely re-check them next Thursday.

Update:

We had to put our D'Anvers rooster down today. It was a very hard decision but ultimately it was best for him and our flock.

The egg marked H was fathered by him so I'm really hoping it continues to develop and hatches. That egg means the most to me in the incubator now.

I usually don't wish for males, but I really hope his chick turns out to me male so he can take on his fathers place.

Update:

I'm going to be putting 4 or 5 Silkie eggs under my broody Silkie tomorrow.

I originally didn't want to but she's being persistent so she'll get what she wants.

3 of our silkie eggs are still going, the hen has gotten rid of 2 and I think she’s debating getting rid of 1 Americauna. 2 black maran and 1 other Americauna left in the nest, I think we’re on day 18!

It’s been hot here and Lola isn’t on her nest all the time, but she still seems pretty dedicated. Kids are so hopeful!

Update:

Put 5 Silkie eggs under PomPom today in a seperate rabbit hutch.

I may add a 6th egg tomorrow but we will see. She's taken to them straight away. I think she's just happy she's got what she wanted!

Today is day 21, I have only peeked at the eggs but I don't see any cracks or pips, I don't see them move. Mama is still taking good care of them.

Got anxious and carefully candled one. No internal pip, no blood line, inside looks pretty 'full' and can't really see anything. I'm wondering if the way she wasn't great about sitting on them for the first 2 or 3 days have delayed them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom