Silkie lethargic, not eating, drinking okay, not moving around much

ohiobirdmom

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2015
I have a silkie that is really lethargic and not wanting to do anything. I separated her from the others and I have her in a box inside with food and water. She is laying beside the water and drinking okay but she's not moving around(although when made to she is walking/moving okay without problem) and doesn't want to eat. My other birds pick on her so I figured I would bring her in to get warm and get her own food and water but she's not acting like herself. Any advice? Or what I might be able to do to get her back to herself?

Btw my birds are healthy- no diseases/ mites/ problems ect. She is the only one. I noticed yesterday afternoon and thought she was just tired from being out in nice weather all day. This morning was the same so I brought her in. She's not laying yet either so I don't think she could be egg bound.

**EDIT TO ADD- I really want to get her back to normal because she is my 3 yr old daughters favorite. She follows my daughter everywhere and my daughter would be crushed if something happened to her!

Last edited:
Sounds like coccidiosis. The treatment is Corid (I think it is available at farm supplys)

Here's a quote from another thread
Liquid corid is 2 tsp per gallon of water, corid powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water.

And more info on Corid dosing
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

@casportpony is an expert on treating coccidiosis

If you can't get Corid soon you could try giving her a teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder. Mix it with a tiny bit of water to form a paste and mix that with some food or just mix it in her water. Cayenne has successfully treated coccidiosis in some of my birds, although Corid is better if you can get it.

Thank you! I will try this. I should be able to get some corridor today. Do you think that liquid or powder is better? Or are the both about the same?

I used liquid corid for my chickens, the exact same thing happened to my silkie a few days ago. But she is completely better now. Does she have bloody droppings? This is one of the symptoms that my chickens had when they had coccidiosis. My silkie wasn't laying either, my silkie wouldn't eat ANYTHING. She would sometimes eat an earthworm or two, but other than that she wouldn't eat nothing. Anyhow, I didn't use any kind of treatment for my hen, and she is now fine. I hope your silkie feels better!

Sounds like coccidiosis. The treatment is Corid (I think it is available at farm supplys)

Here's a quote from another thread
Quote: I have weighed the powder and done the math several ways... the Corid powder dose is no less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Ignore all posts that say the powder dose is 1/2 teaspoon because it's based on flawed information.

-Kathy

*UPDATE:

My silk died that night. I gave her the corid powder in her water and she drank some of it. But after drinking she went to sleep and a few hrs later I checked on her and she was still sleeping so I used a medicine dropper and gave her some and she perked up a little bit and tried drinking out of her bowl. I had to help her because she couldn't hold her head up and almost drowned. But then I walked out of the room I had her in (was only out of there for 2 min tops) and when I went back in she had gotten back into her water and I pulled her out of it and it was too late. She stopped breathing in my arms. :( my daughter is so sad. I wonder tho if the cocci is what she had or could there have been something else?

EDIT TO ADD
Sorry for the late update. My sheep finally just finished lambing yesterday and it's been a little hectic with feeding baby (he can't get latched to my ewe)

But I want to add that I am completely stunned by the loss of my silkie. I keep my coop clean and well maintained as well as rearranging their run (for the ones that seem to not like being out in the open) every so often to make sure it's not getting too messy. I have always given them rooster booster electrolyte with lacto bacillus. They get clean fresh feed and water twice sometime 3 times a day. I have read up on prevention of illness and tried to make sure to do everything mentioned. What could be going on with my birds? I haven't noticed any of my other birds showing signs of cocci or any other ailment but I started preventative dose of corid yesterday (silkie died at 3:40 yesterday morning) to be sure.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am too. But at least she isn't suffering. I just wish I knew what it was. I never noticed bloody stool. Everyone has said that's a telltale sign of coccidiosis. That's why I'm wondering if it was cocci or something else.

If you ever have to treat with Corid again you can do this:

• Weigh birds on kitchen scale in grams
  • Mix 1/2 teaspoon with 10 of water and stir well
  • Give Corid water at 0.07 ml per 100 grams orally for 1-3 days.

This is done in addition to medication in their water.

This link has information on what to do when you have a sick bird, including pictures of giving medication orally.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mergency-and-supportive-care-updated-1-3-2016

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom