Silkie not using her legs

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
So I noticed last week that she didn't want to go down the stairs that lead to the grass, and she usually goes down them with no problem. As the days went on, she seemed to just sit in one spot all day, only moving to eat and drink and poop. Then I noticed when she was walking to eat, she had a limp in her right leg. The next day she wouldn't use the leg at all, if she layed down, she should fall to her side and just stay there(Originally I thought she had hurt her leg so I immobilized it). I isolated her for 4 days and she has just gotten worse, Now if I go outside to check on her, shes completely on her back( I have to prop her up to sit right) and doesn't both her legs anymore. She eats just a little bit, and poops normally. She is a 11 month old silkie, hasn't layed her first egg yet and is really small.

What is wrong with her? Her eyes are clear and hers awake, it's like her legs are paralyzed.

Oh . . . V

1) What type of bird , age and weight. ( Silkie 11 months)

2) What is the behavior, exactly. ( not using legs)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? (1 week )

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? (no)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. (no)

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. ( Nothing that I know of)

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ( Pecks at Layer crumble, not sure if she is successful in actually eating it. She wolfs down bread)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. (poop is normal)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? ( Isolation/Immobilized leg)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? (hopefully at home)

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use (At the moment a rabbit hutch for isolation)(wire and a seat cushion)

Last edited:
I have NO idea if this will help her but try and get some polyvisol vitamins in her asap...I have been having the exact same issues with my silkie babies and after a dose or two they are trotting around, put it right in her mouth. I have no clue what is going on with mine but so far Ive had 4 with this exact same thing and the vitamins worked wonders...You can get them anywhere in the baby dept.

If they are "paralyzed" have you looked into Marek's Disease?
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm (here is the link)
I would keep her isolated until you know for sure.
Have you checked to see if she is Egg bound (seeing her age, she may be trying to pass an egg and cannot)???

have you checked her feet and legs for sores? (such as bumble foot)??

Have you noticed any weakness or "drop wing" (which will go away after a few days)???

Have you checked for Lice, Mite or Worms???

Put vitamins in her water...
Give her polyvsol...
and make her a hard boiled egg, then put it (shell and all) in a blender and blend it with 2 tablespoons of buttermilk

If I forgot to address something, please let me know...
I hope she gets to feeling better soon
fl.gif

She is also not lifting her head, but doesnt close her eyes like shes dieing. She lost alot of weight because shes not eating alot. I just checked her and one leg is tough to move(right) while to other is easy, like limp(left). The Left leg is stretched out away from the body and looks like the bone fell out of the socket, but what do I know. I got her to kick once with the right leg

Quote:
Shes not eggbound, I didnt find any sores on the bottom of her feet. She seemed fine before her became like this. No lice or Mites. I dont know about worms . . .how do you check ?

I put sugar in her water until I can get Polyvsol tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom