silkie roo having trouble walking

Rescuedogmom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 10, 2014
I got three silkies from tsc that are now 3 months old. Two are roos and one hen. Only one has the extra toes than silkies should have. That one (a roo) is having a lot of trouble walking as it gets bigger. He wont spread his toes like chickens do and spends most of his time in the coop instead of the yard. Im worried he has some type of deformity :-(

You could try making a little foot shaper out of sticks? I've done silly stuff like that before.
Could be a vitamin deficiency.
:/
Sorry I don't have a better answer.
This is mostly a bump....

He was never a spraddle leg...he walked fine until he started getting bigger/heavier. Ive checked his legs and feet over and cant find a thing. Stupid me had the vet out yesterday and completely forgot to get her to check him :-( thank you for that idea though...I almost wish it was that..I couldve fixed that :-(

Riboflavin deficiency can cause the toes to be curled into a claw, and walking on hocks (elbows.). Posting a clear picture of the problem may help.

Last edited:
I have several silkies and all have 5 toes,are you sure all your birds are silkies? Regardless what breed they are,what exactly is the issue with his feet,how does he walk? Have you checked under foot pad and between toes for bumblefoot or any sores,have you checked for any broken nails or broken feathers on feet?

What I noticed today is he ismissing the toe in the back, the one they use to walk...ill try and get some pics and get them up :)

What I noticed today is he ismissing the toe in the back, the one they use to walk...ill try and get some pics and get them up :)
Missing toe as in it has been torn off(injured) or missing nail,is there any indication of infection? Either will result in bird not wanting to walk due to pain. Is he eating/drinking?

Not really "missing" sorry...just in the wrong place. Im getting ready to post several pics so bear with me :)

Back
Top Bottom