Silkie Roo X Light Brahma Hen -- What color chick?!

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hey, all!

On a whim, I put an egg laid by my light Brahma under a hen that had just gone broody (she caught broodiness from another who was already on eggs). The Brahma mom ended up dying the next day, and I was heartbroken but held onto hope that the egg would be fertile and hatch. It hatched last night! However, there might have been a mix-up with the eggs because I did not mark it until the day after I had put it under her and other hens had laid in that next box. I had thought it was the darker brown egg, but now I feel unsure.

So, my question is: What color would a chick be if the dad was a black silkie and the mom a light Brahma? I was expecting white, but I don't know how chicken genetics work. The chick hasn't fluffed out yet, but it is a brown color overall, with some light feathers around the face. I really want this baby to belong to my light Brahma!

I've done White Silkie Roo over Light Brahma hen.
The chick turned out a whitish yellow, & faint stripes, & feathered out Columbian.

If you can post pictures of the chick, & possible fathers that'll be helpful?

IMG_5415.JPG

Is there a certain color it should be? Or something else to look for?
Black hides many colors, but occasionally have other colors Leak through. (Talking about the Father)

Light Brahmas are Partridge/Columbian, & Silver.

I'm only making a guess at the moment, but your chick maybe incomplete Silver Columbian, or possibly Silver Partridge.

The Genetics Calculator says the chick will be black. But like I said it also depends on the father's genetics too.
I doubt the chick will be pure black, since there's silver.

Also since this was a black skin male over yellow skin female, the chick will be sex linked.
Males will have light skin, yellow/white depending on the crossing. Females will have black skin.

Your's looks like a cockerel by it's skin color.

Back
Top Bottom