Silkie Rooster?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Pretty sure at this point that this Silkie is a roo, but wanted some more input. About four months old. Thanks!

E404E9CB-E012-4B1B-AC9E-3738DEEF2697.jpeg
05E41BDB-E1F5-4250-A77C-500FFA1522D3.jpeg

He does look like a cockerel, but silkies are tough and can be deceptive. If you can not keep roosters, have a plan B in mind, but do not rehome him until he crows to be sure.

My mom thinks she heard him crow, but from how she described it, it wasn't really a full crow, and I am still a little skeptical. We will keep him either way, but we do have another rooster, also a bantam, so I am not sure how they will get along.

My mom thinks she heard him crow, but from how she described it, it wasn't really a full crow, and I am still a little skeptical. We will keep him either way, but we do have another rooster, also a bantam, so I am not sure how they will get along.
That's pretty typical of adolescent males testing their voices. Especially if there's another male around that may be perceived as the dominant one. Often roosters will be found to suppress sex specific feathering and noises until the other more dominant roo is removed. It's a survival instinct thing.

I'm going with cockerel as well!

I know it can happen but I'm still yet to come across a female Silkie with such a big comb, especially at 4 months old. His comb is pretty big already.

He has the gangly longer looking legs and taller stance which can indicate a male.

Just keep an eye :)

I believe I may have a cockerel silkie too. Does anyone recommend rooster collars and do they work?
I am not 100% certain ours is a rooster yet as it just started crowing but it doesnt happen a lot. My friend has a silkie rooster and he crows ALL THE TIME! Mine talks like the hens all day long but will throw a crow out at us out of the blue. It surprises us all. It can go a whole weekend and not crow.
Im hoping I just have the hen that likes to take control of her coope.

Back
Top Bottom