Silkie "runt" moving to coop question

lnhackford

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Salt Lake City, utah
hello,

I have 9 chicks that are 5 weeks old. The coop is going to be finished on Monday. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah and its finally starting to warm up here. We are in the 70s during the day and 50s at night. It has been raining a lot but is supposed to stop. All of my chicks are pretty close to being fully feathered. I have one silkie that is still just tiny as can be. She looks like a 3 or 4 day old chick still. I'm a first time chick owner and I'm not sure how to go about moving them to the coop, especially since this particular silkie is so far behind my other girls in size. They are still in my dog crate brooder, and have a heat lamp that keeps them at about 70 degrees in my house. I keep air conditioning on as well as a fan because I like my house cold. Otherwise I'm assuming they wouldn't need the lamp anymore.

I've read that people just put them in the coop and keep them in there for the first couple of days. I take them outside for field trips on nice days and just sit with them while they free range and they really like it.

I also am wondering if I keep their feed and water inside the run or the coop? Or both? Any tips would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom