Moving silkie chicks outside

LiizardWiitch

Chirping
Aug 15, 2022
I have silkie chicks that are nearing 6 weeks old. I'd like to move them outside, but I know they are more fragile to temperatures. I live in Arizona, but in the mountains. Here soon it should be reaching 50 degrees min at night. Would I be able to move my silkie chicks to the chick coop with a heat lamp on them? They have been exposed to the outdoors on 80 degree days too, but it tends to get really windy where I live as well. Thank you

Mine are outside with 60 degree days and cool night. The lamp is on at night since they're 2 weeks old but yours should be fine.
Greetings from Rim Country.
I have 2, 2 week old chicks in with them but I threw everyone outside with a heat lamp! No more chicks not paying rent lol
Love from Arizona đź’—

Mine are outside with 60 degree days and cool night. The lamp is on at night since they're 2 weeks old but yours should be fine.
Greetings from Rim Country.
Can the be a fire risk? My girls are about 2 weeks and our lows are about low 50 right now but next week supposed to be in the 40's... I am just concerned they 1) won't know what/want there coops is and 2 it will be too cold.... Hubby thinks it will be ok since they are getting so active, but I'm worried it will be too cold or the heat light could be a fire hazard, (we have had 3 major fires in the past 9 years)

Can the be a fire risk? My girls are about 2 weeks and our lows are about low 50 right now but next week supposed to be in the 40's... I am just concerned they 1) won't know what/want there coops is and 2 it will be too cold.... Hubby thinks it will be ok since they are getting so active, but I'm worried it will be too cold or the heat light could be a fire hazard, (we have had 3 major fires in the past 9 years)
If it's properly secure and grounded, there's no risk. You can use a heating pad without auto off if you want.

We're in Wisconsin and I won't raise chicks in the winter as we have nowhere to go with them after they're 6-8 weeks old as it'll still be freezing outside. We'll hatch or buy chicks only between April 15 and May 15. This is for the timing to ensure 1) we can put them outside during the day after they're a couple of weeks old, and 2) they are grown to the size of the older ones by fall, so when winter is coming and we have to integrate them, there are no bullying problems. We start letting them out permanently to their temporary coop when temps stay above 50F at night, and they are about 6-8 weeks. But, we have a Cozy Coop (flat panel radiant heater) for them at night. These are all silkies I'm referring to.

Back
Top Bottom