silkie sexing

caf.gif
I'm not having much luck finding information about the potential for breed mix. I can't go back to the source of the chicks, they don't know anything besides bantam.
hmm.png
I took them because they looked like Silkie's when they were a few weeks younger. time will tell, but I figured it was worth asking if anyone else had hatched green beaked chicks. there is one thread here from '09, def Silkie mix by the look of the (much older than these) chick presented, but the thread died without much contribution or followup by the OP. they're stinkin' cute, whatever they are! all I have learned is that the green color is called "horn"
(it was all about making my Gossamer happy after a failed Feb hatch, so at the last minute of the mid March hatch date, I grabbed a chance to ensure that the eggs she was sitting on would hatch by bringing home 6 5-toed fluffballs. 3 of the 4 eggs did, so she is delighted with 9)

:caf I'm not having much luck finding information about the potential for breed mix. I can't go back to the source of the chicks, they don't know anything besides bantam.:/ I took them because they looked like Silkie's when they were a few weeks younger. time will tell, but I figured it was worth asking if anyone else had hatched green beaked chicks. there is one thread here from '09, def Silkie mix by the look of the (much older than these) chick presented, but the thread died without much contribution or followup by the OP. they're stinkin' cute, whatever they are! all I have learned is that the green color is called "horn" (it was all about making my Gossamer happy after a failed Feb hatch, so at the last minute of the mid March hatch date, I grabbed a chance to ensure that the eggs she was sitting on would hatch by bringing home 6 5-toed fluffballs. 3 of the 4 eggs did, so she is delighted with 9)
While the standard requires the beak to be either a ' leaden blue ' to blue/ black, I've seen silkies with greenish beaks . If the skin is black you may still have some pure silkies, just not show quality. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Standard.html

Hi all! Here are my three silkies. (I posted a group shot in a separate thread before I saw this one.) I tried to get decent front and side head shots of all three. They are about 4 weeks old, which I know is super early, so this is just guessing for fun.

Silkie #1

Silkie #2

Silkie #3 (I think this one is a roo. No clue on the other two.)

Back
Top Bottom