silkie sexing

Pics
Oh sorry, but it always seems to me that the Roos have more charisma and steal your heart
1f494.png
This is sooo truel! Which is why I end up with as many Roosters as hens lol!

A neighbor who dabbled in silkie breeding years ago took a look at my chicks. Besides pointing out all their faults, which annoyed me because they're pets not show birds, he claimed if a chick developed a pink comb it was more likely to be male. I have two with pinkish combs, a seven week old white and a four week old buff. I am skeptical as to whether this marks them as potential males. Anyone heard of this? Any truth to it?

A neighbor who dabbled in silkie breeding years ago took a look at my chicks. Besides pointing out all their faults, which annoyed me because they're pets not show birds, he claimed if a chick developed a pink comb it was more likely to be male. I have two with pinkish combs, a seven week old white and a four week old buff. I am skeptical as to whether this marks them as potential males. Anyone heard of this? Any truth to it?
I dont think people should critique your birds unless you ask
duc.gif
A white shouldnt have a pinkish comb and dont know that it being pinkish has anything to do with male or female. In the buffs I have noticed that the males often have a pinker/redder comb than the females but some females do as well. looks like you will have to wait and see like the rest of us
lau.gif
Just enjoy your chicks. We all have Silkie with faults to some degree or the other. Some of my favorites are the ones that arent the "best" ones !

I dont think people should critique your birds unless you ask
duc.gif
A white shouldnt have a pinkish comb and dont know that it being pinkish has anything to do with male or female. In the buffs I have noticed that the males often have a pinker/redder comb than the females but some females do as well. looks like you will have to wait and see like the rest of us
lau.gif
Just enjoy your chicks. We all have Silkie with faults to some degree or the other. Some of my favorites are the ones that arent the "best" ones !

I figured the guy was talking through his you-know-what. He's one of those pompous people. I can now say that I've heard from other silkie owners that comb color has nothing to do with sex. It makes me wonder how many of his "pink combed cockerels" turned out to be pullets?
lau.gif

I figured the guy was talking through his you-know-what. He's one of those pompous people. I can now say that I've heard from other silkie owners that comb color has nothing to do with sex. It makes me wonder how many of his "pink combed cockerels" turned out to be pullets?
lau.gif
Well, as I said.. in the buffs it CAN be an indicator and that is really what we have to go on. Four weeks old is awfully young to be telling what sex they are though. I have some that are 4 months old Im not sure about yet! Do you have to have only hens or are you ok with a rooster ?

Please help!
I have 4 almost 9 week old silkie chicks. I think I have 3 hens and 1 rooster
. I really need to know soon because somebody, not sure yet who, just started crowing and we can't have roosters where we live
hit.gif
. Here are pictures of 3 of them when they were 8 weeks old.

Suspect #1: Bernadette, White silkie

Suspect #2: Nancy, Blue silkie

Suspect #3: Drusilla, Black silkie

Please respond. If you need anymore pictures just ask.

Back
Top Bottom