silkie sexing

Pics
My 3 Silkies will be 9 weekes come thursday . The 2 white ones were born the day I got them and Cheeps was a couple days old .
Hmm... I still stand by my opinion. I think your partridge is a girl and the other 2 boys. But 9 weeks is usually the age when they start developing a lot... cockerels will get full blown streamers and might get some coarse hackles. Give it 2 weeks and post pics again...I think by then you'll be able to tell for sure.

So I'm fairly new to the whole chicken thing and brand new to BYC.

Picked up a silkie at a local poultry fair, was told it was a 8 month old Pullet. It's been a week and no eggs or crow? Should a 8 month Pullet be laying? Or if it was a cockerel it should be crowing by now?

He/she has almost no comb, no wattles, swooped back Hair doo and can't be sure about streamers cause it's molting.

I also wondering a behavioral question. Tried putting it in with our small flock (frizzle rooster 6 months, 2 Easter egger X 6 months old, and a barred rock 2yrs?) if it was a roo would it not square off with the frizzle? All it did was try and hide from them. They weren't to friendly to it so I have a barrier between them for now and will try again this weekend.

Thx Erick

PS I'll post some pics once I figure out how to with my iphone

So I'm fairly new to the whole chicken thing and brand new to BYC.

Picked up a silkie at a local poultry fair, was told it was a 8 month old Pullet. It's been a week and no eggs or crow? Should a 8 month Pullet be laying? Or if it was a cockerel it should be crowing by now?

He/she has almost no comb, no wattles, swooped back Hair doo and can't be sure about streamers cause it's molting.

I also wondering a behavioral question. Tried putting it in with our small flock (frizzle rooster 6 months, 2 Easter egger X 6 months old, and a barred rock 2yrs?) if it was a roo would it not square off with the frizzle? All it did was try and hide from them. They weren't to friendly to it so I have a barrier between them for now and will try again this weekend.

Thx Erick

PS I'll post some pics once I figure out how to with my iphone
sounds like a pullet but pics would help

as for the other issue: you should ALWAYS quarantine for a month to make sure any new birds are not sick as you do not want to infect your flock and end up losing everyone...its to late as you have already put it in with the others....silkies do get bullied but since it is a new bird you will have to let them chase and fight it at to reestablish the pecking order just stand there and make sure it doesn't get out of hand but no amount of separating and putting back in will ever stop the fighting between them.

Back
Top Bottom