silkie sexing

Pics
I might as well put mine up here as well.I have 3 young blacks. their combs all look about the same . One is a bit larger in size ( that one is a cockerel) and a couple weeks older, another one that is the same size as the one in question that I believe is a cockerel ,and this one, This one has a bigger crest but the hackle feather look a bit longer than I think a pullets usually do. It stands like a pullet most of the time . Wings carried high...

I don't think mine are four weeks yet, this is my first time hatching chickens. Pip and Snow were born 2/26, Mo hatched 2/27 and Hawk 2/8

the white looks like a cockerel to me 95% sure. id say. i think i saw streamers and the comb is like a male but silkies can be suprising!

Yeah I have heard this
idunno.gif
, I'm REALLY hopping none are boys
fl.gif
but I mean who knows. If they are I'll have to find them a home since they can't live with me at my tiny app. where we have already gone over the limit for pets- a rat, cat, dog and recently passed away hermit crab-
barnie.gif
, and my school will get in trouble with the surrounding home owners
he.gif
( the chickenshome will be at my high school) But thank you for responding, I will keep an eye out.
ep.gif
I'm still getting the hang of things since this is my FIRST INCUBATION OR OWNING OF CHICKENS EVERRRRRR
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
D.gif
yesss.gif
luckily I have a very supportive chicken lady to help me out
hugs.gif
. Any tips or advice or ANYTHING would be a great help. I want the little ones to be safe and happy.
bow.gif

These two are almost 7 months old now and we hatched them last year under one of our broody Sussex hybrids from eggs we were given. Would we be correct in assuming the largest one is a cockeral, and the smaller a hen? They don't make any noise (yet!) and they're currently in with our variety of layers, but while there's no sign of bullying, they do seem to be having their longer feathers missing, assumed pecked by the larger hens.

Ok here we go again, lol ! Silkie #1 im still unsure of but #2 Looks male , but again Im new to this . Let me know what you guys think.

White Silkie # 1

White Silkie # 2

Your number 2 is certainly a cockerel...I'm almost positive those are streamers that I'm seeing on the third pic of him. As for the first one...I still don't know! I don't see any streamers! Sorry for asking, but can you get a picture of the side and back of their heads??
I might as well put mine up here as well.I have 3 young blacks. their combs all look about the same . One is a bit larger in size ( that one is a cockerel) and a couple weeks older, another one that is the same size as the one in question that I believe is a cockerel ,and this one, This one has a bigger crest but the hackle feather look a bit longer than I think a pullets usually do. It stands like a pullet most of the time . Wings carried high...

Definitely a pullet. She seems to have a nice poofy crest too!
These two are almost 7 months old now and we hatched them last year under one of our broody Sussex hybrids from eggs we were given. Would we be correct in assuming the largest one is a cockeral, and the smaller a hen? They don't make any noise (yet!) and they're currently in with our variety of layers, but while there's no sign of bullying, they do seem to be having their longer feathers missing, assumed pecked by the larger hens.

I believe your assumption is correct! The more greyish one looks like he has some silkie rooster hackles and streamers going on. The other one, the greyish tan one, looks like a pullet! Congrats! You should be hearing a crow or getting an egg soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom