silkie sexing

Pics
Has any one ever had silkies chicks that started out looking like males( maybe like my buff silkie) and ended up being female???

Hey ALL!

I just picked up 4 new Silkies. The first 2 (Partridge and Splash) I'm absolutely in love with, come from a very nice place.

The other 2 (buff and grey) are skittish (how do I remedy that?), given to me pretty dirty...seem a bit skinny, are they beardless, too? Poor little babies.
hmm.png

When I got everyone home I started to wonder if I had picked up a couple boys. Maybe all you SILKIE lovers can give me an idea of the sex of these chicks. The first two I was told were born at the end of November. The Buff is supposedly just under a year and the little grey is questionable.

I suspect that the partridge colored one is a boy and the little grey may be. We are not supposed to have roosters here so it makes me a bit anxious...I understand its very difficult to tell with silkies , but I just wanna know!!
idunno.gif

I appreciate any input you may have! Thanks!

Hey ALL!

I just picked up 4 new Silkies. The first 2 (Partridge and Splash) I'm absolutely in love with, come from a very nice place.

The other 2 (buff and grey) are skittish (how do I remedy that?), given to me pretty dirty...seem a bit skinny, are they beardless, too? Poor little babies.
hmm.png

When I got everyone home I started to wonder if I had picked up a couple boys. Maybe all you SILKIE lovers can give me an idea of the sex of these chicks. The first two I was told were born at the end of November. The Buff is supposedly just under a year and the little grey is questionable.

I suspect that the partridge colored one is a boy and the little grey may be. We are not supposed to have roosters here so it makes me a bit anxious...I understand its very difficult to tell with silkies , but I just wanna know!!
idunno.gif

I appreciate any input you may have! Thanks!

First of all, the first two are very nice! I don't think the second one is a partridge, looks more like a calico to me. But I'm not sure. You said that they hatched at the end of november? Huh. Those guys look pretty mature just for a little over 3 months.
Anywho, the splash is definitely a pullet. The calico/partridge, unfortunately, looks like a cockerel. I see some streamers sticking out. It's too bad, he is beautiful!
The buff also looks like a roo to me....I can't really see streamers from the pictures but he looks like he has some pretty coarse hackles.
As for the grey....I'm not sure. If you could get a more close up of those two that would be great!

They will become less skittish over time.They may not have been at a great home before, or they may never have gotten handled. Either way, it will just take time for them to be comfortable with your presence.

I also thought the first 2 looked older than being born at the end of Nov. but that's just what I was told... I guess the second one we think maybe a boy does look "calico". And the I will try to get better pics of the buff and grey. Its hard when they are scurrying about, they are scared! I suppose I will be posting an ad on Craigslist for the Calico to find a new home soon. Thank you for replying!

i know i know, im optimistic, but so far my favorite is the buff....the black one, not so much, maybe she just has to get used to me. Raised them from birth.
It is the LOOOOOONG wait in sexing silkies that is keeping me from getting any more. By the time you find out you have a roo, you are attached to them, then you have to rehome them and then you feel like crapola cause you don't know if they are really going to a good home.. at least that's what I go through.

It is the LOOOOOONG wait in sexing silkies that is keeping me from getting any more. By the time you find out you have a roo, you are attached to them, then you have to rehome them and then you feel like crapola cause you don't know if they are really going to a good home.. at least that's what I go through.
Same here, we have couple of ducks that of need in new home, can't bring myself to post the add.

Ok here we go again, lol ! Silkie #1 im still unsure of but #2 Looks male , but again Im new to this . Let me know what you guys think. White Silkie # 1 White Silkie # 2
To me #1 looks like a male and #2 looks like a female. You've probably posted this somewhere already, but how old are they? If #2 is a dude, it'll looks like its shaping up to be a nice one. My roo has a nice crest, but that bonnet shape is more common on hens... Nikki

Back
Top Bottom