silkie sexing

Pics
Here are some better pics of my buffs. The dark feathers in their butt puffs means they are boys, yeah?

A in front, B in back.

B in front, A in back.

Here are my 3 silkies. They are about 3 months old. The white is very small and dainty, but also has a bigger comb than the other 2. The black is the largest, and the crest looks a bit slicked back but hard to tell because of all the "pin" feathers that haven't fluffed-out yet in the back, and a very small comb. She/he is by far the fluffiest of them all! The buff is medium sized to the other two. I'm suspecting the black is a roo just based on size, but the others I go back-and-forth because they are exhibiting male/female characteristics! I hope one or more is a pullet
fl.gif

@ JenS9- No, that is no indication of sex. It indicates quality. It is called "smut". Clear buffs have no smut. Smut is undesirable in Buff Silkies.

Last edited:
@ JenS9- No, that is no indication of sex. It indicates quality. It is called "smut". Clear buffs have no smut. Smut is undesirable in Buff Silkies.

oh good, thanks! So mainly head poof shape, combs, and wattles then? Neuter of my buffs have any combs at all yet, and they are past the 3mo mark.

I can't tell the sex at that age. Silkies can be very hard to sex until 6-7 months old.

Yeah, too bad they can't be vent sexed most of the time. I'm in a subdivision and can't have roos, so I just get to play the waiting game.

Some of my blues are getting combs, I'm keeping an eye on them.

I broke down and I am doing DNA sex testing for my 3 silkies. Luckily, I saved their shells and each had a unique hatch pattern so I knew which was which. I can't wait to get the results!

Back
Top Bottom