silkie sexing

I noticed that she is feathering and maybe that is the reason her head looks like a roos head. Idk maybe!

I noticed that she is feathering and maybe that is the reason her head looks like a roos head. Idk maybe!

100% boy- sorry.
The neck feathering is all rooster.

Rooster neck feathers:

Female neck feathers are not long like that- they do not swoop down, the go together like this and are short.

Sunflower here was startled so she is flaring her neck feathers a bit, but you can see how short they are.

I've heard that reddish color is most commonly found on partridge boys as well, as well as the fact that partridge girls are usually stenciled all over, like my Sunflower, but boys are not, like your roo. Sorry!

100% boy- sorry.

Rooster neck feathers:

Female neck feathers are not long like that- they do not swoop down, the go together like this and are short.

Sunflower here was startled so she is flaring her neck feathers a bit, but you can see how short they are.

I've heard that reddish color is most commonly found on partridge boys as well, as well as the fact that partridge girls are usually stenciled all over, like my Sunflower, but boys are not, like your roo. Sorry!
x2

100% boy- sorry.

Rooster neck feathers:

This is the second time I've written this post tonight. The first seems to be lost in cyber space.

I, too, had thought that other bird was a rooster as well. I thought it looked like it had streamers and a bit too much hackle feathering to be a hen, but when I saw the second set of pictures, I wasn't so sure. Below is a young pullet of mine that has a lot of hackle feathering. When she was getting new feathers in her top knot, they looked a little like streamers. I hope the other bird turns out to be a hen.

chicklover- both of your partridges are roosters. Not only do their combs and hackles give them away, but their color does as well. The wonderful thing about partridge is the males and females are different colors. Males get that beautiful, vivid red/mahogany, (like on your birds heads) and females are a demur reddish brown all over, they don't get that splotchy, bright color.
They are both VERY handsome, I really like the boy with the smaller comb
1f60a.png

Last edited:
chicklover- both of your partridges are roosters. Not only do their combs and hackles give them away, but their color does as well. The wonderful thing about partridge is the males and females are different colors. Males get that beautiful, vivid red/mahogany, (like on your birds heads) and females are a demur reddish brown all over, they don't get that splotchy, bright color.
They are both VERY handsome, I really like the boy with the smaller comb
1f60a.png

Thanks I love them both. I am going to wait a little longer and see if someone has a silkie hen for sale.

Back
Top Bottom