silkie sexing

I asked for sexing help a few weeks ago and most said Roo. I just want to check and see if it has changed before I give him away. I am hoping for a chance of it being a girl, but don't have much hope. I can't keep Roos here.

Going on size and width of comb, I'd say rooster
Here's another:

Here we go... after reading EVERY post in this forum, I am sure that this is a little boy! At 8 weeks, he has not been chest bumping or doing any posturing. As a matter of fact, his "surrogate" mom seems to peck him on the head quite a bit. He responds by running behind her or hiding. No attempt at crowing, either. I noticed that the ears have a slight blue tint and there are hair puffs anterior to the ear that have been growing since he was 3 1/2 weeks. The comb is black with a slight bump and very pimply. Only one egg hatched so I do not have another silkie of the same age to compare. I definitely see roo... Bearded or non-bearded? It seems as though the females have combs that come to a point at the head and widen toward the nose. The males seem to have wide rounded combs at the head.

With his frizzle surrogate mom...

Showing head and comb development. Many pin feathers are developing along the face and upper area behind his head.

Showing ear lobes - blue coloring just noticed last night and
waddles

Last edited:
What a pretty little thing! How old is your chick? Are these bearded or non-bearded? Both of our chicks have a large puff of fluff in front of the ears!

Last edited:
Here we go... after reading EVERY post in this forum, I am sure that this is a little boy! At 8 weeks, he has not been chest bumping or doing any posturing. As a matter of fact, his "surrogate" mom seems to peck him on the head quite a bit. He responds by running behind her or hiding. No attempt at crowing, either. I noticed that the ears have a slight blue tint and there are hair puffs anterior to the ear that have been growing since he was 3 1/2 weeks. The comb is black with a slight bump and very pimply. Only one egg hatched so I do not have another silkie of the same age to compare. I definitely see roo... Bearded or non-bearded? It seems as though the females have combs that come to a point at the head and widen toward the nose. The males seem to have wide rounded combs at the head.

With his frizzle surrogate mom...

Showing head and comb development. Many pin feathers are developing along the face and upper area behind his head.

Showing ear lobes - blue coloring just noticed last night and
waddles
It doesn't look very boyish, but the fact that there are wattles growing at 8 weeks would make me lean towards cockerel. However, some females do sprout wattles as well, I have 3 silkie pullets that are 4 months old now and I think they all were growing really small ones at about 10 weeks (however they are non-bearded). FYI, all silkies should have the blue earlobes, and at that age they will all have numerous pin feathers as well. Your silkie is bearded.

Back
Top Bottom