silkie sexing

Blue jay yes i believe this is a cockeral.he could have been crowing outside for the pullets around him. It is rare for hens to crow but it does happen when their are no males around and a hen takes on the male charecter.i have no males in my flock and my hens don't crow thank God but it can happen.but i believe you have a boy there.

He def looks like a roo! Does he have any symptoms of being sick? Like wheezing, sneezing or coughing? Did he get bopped in the head really hard?

Those other 2 black silkies that you just got honeysolo....they are both roos. They have large combs, giant colorful earlobes, and are quite tall for the breed.

He was crowing when I was keeping him with two pullets, but now I've been keeping him inside as a house chicken, and he hasn't crowed. I know hens can crow sometimes, does he look like a cockeral?
A hen's crow sounds completely different from a boy's from what I hear, and hens only crow when they're older. :)
But yes, at 5 months old, he looks like a boy with that dark red and large/red comb! My pullets barely had a comb until they were actually laying eggs.

A hen's crow sounds completely different from a boy's from what I hear, and hens only crow when they're older. :)
But yes, at 5 months old, he looks like a boy with that dark red and large/red comb! My pullets barely had a comb until they were actually laying eggs.
I have a hen who crows from time to time and yes they do sound a bit different then boys... My scrappy littlest white silkie has also crowded a few times and NO she is not at the top of the pecking order .... Just SASSY!!!

I SOOOO want this beautiful Catdance second generation baby to be a hen!!! Anyone want to confirm/deny?
fl.gif

[/IMG]. Help!! I don't know which one is a cockerel but one is crowing and I just found a small egg in coop that most likely didn't come from my LF girls. I can't keep a roo so I need to know who's who.

Back
Top Bottom