silkie sexing

@Lightchick, I'm so sorry for your loss :(

This is my first post and I'm so excited this thread exists! This is my first time raising chickens and I'm learning so much everyday.

I have a Silkie named Bowie (after David Bowie). I have no idea what the sex is, somedays I think pullet, other days cockerel.

Here's a picture of Bowie that I took today, I would love your opinion. Bowie is around 3 or 4 months old...he/she was given to me as a gift and I have no idea! I haven't heard crowing yet though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Looks like a pullet to me

@Lightchick, I'm so sorry for your loss :(

This is my first post and I'm so excited this thread exists! This is my first time raising chickens and I'm learning so much everyday.

I have a Silkie named Bowie (after David Bowie). I have no idea what the sex is, somedays I think pullet, other days cockerel.

Here's a picture of Bowie that I took today, I would love your opinion. Bowie is around 3 or 4 months old...he/she was given to me as a gift and I have no idea! I haven't heard crowing yet though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

:welcome
You may have got lucky. Looks like a pullet.

I would guess that to be a cockerel, but I could be wrong. Here's one of my pullets around the same age, maybe a little younger. Its hard to see the comb because of her crest, but there really isn't even a bump there.

Trying to sex my two silkies

Smokey, the black one and Misty, the grey one.
Neither seem to have growing combs, and no distinct individual streamers, no saddle feathers I can distinguish.

Smokey (black one) is definitely more dominant, and is larger but might be 1-2 weeks older than Misty. We are not sure if they are the same age, they may be from 2 batches of chicks, aprox 11 - 13 weeks old.

Smokey

Misty

Any Ideas?

I'm almost positive Misty is a girl, but Smokey?

Thanks

Thor

FOLLOW UP on my silkies one month later (aprox 15-17 weeks old now)

No eggs or crowing from either.

here are some new pictures:

Misty

Misty - left Smokey right

Smokey - Notice slight orange feathering on chest

Smokey - some blue iridescent coloured wing feathers. (hard to see in this photo)

Misty left Smokey right

I am still hesitant to decree that Smokey is 100% pullet.
hu.gif

-comb is small but a little textured. (has been that way for months)
-the orange chest feathers?
-shiny blue wing feathers?
-longer hackel feathers than misty
-very small wattles - maybe 2mm or 1/8"
-crest has 2 parts with the back being longer feathers, but no individual streamers that I can tell.
-didnt play fight with my other 3 EE cockerels when they started being boys (they have since been given away) nor did they take any interest in smokey.

Anyone want to take another guess.

Thanks
Thor

These are my 6 week old silkie chicks. It's probably a little early too early to tell, but I thought I'd consult y'all anyway. Their names are Bonnie and Clyde, so obviously I've had my suspicions since day one.

Hey-- just thought I'd follow-up on this. Plus, it's nice to see pictures of them as they age. Neither are crowing or laying yet. But, I guess it's a little early still. That or my barred rock who's been crowing since 8 weeks has enough testosterone for the three of them...

Bonnie and Clyde at about 13-14 weeks.

Clyde

Clyde.

Bonnie.

Bonnie at about 6 weeks and 14 weeks. She loves to give the camera that beady-eyed look.

Anyway, my thoughts are still the same, but I'd love to have y'all weigh in.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
4 weeks old today ging gang the white one and moo moo the brown named by my almost 3yo so excuse the names he did name my mums chicken nugget lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom