silkie sexing

Hope this pic works... These are my silkies. I am sure the white one is a boy, he crows and the grey one a girl but they are about 21 weeks old now and no eggs yet. Is this normal?
My silkies that I posted above are the same age as yours. I would say roo for your white one. He looks nothing like my hen and if he is crowing and no eggs..... I can't see the black one well enough but I guarantee that one doesn't look like the black roo that I had. It does seem like it should have a fuller round crest if a girl but I don't know. I was trying to get an answer on mine as well but haven't got much for response. I thank the two people that did try to help, but I am just back to waiting for a squat or a crow at this point.

As for eggs, mine are the same age as yours and one has laid an egg every day for the last week and a half. The other, I am still waiting on. You aren't alone.

Hope this pic works... These are my silkies. I am sure the white one is a boy, he crows and the grey one a girl but they are about 21 weeks old now and no eggs yet. Is this normal?

I can't see the picture well enough to give a guess, but I will say I had a silkie hen that didn't start laying until she was almost 9 months old. They can take awhile to mature. If you want to post close ups of the black one I may be able to help more ;)

Yes!! Lol. I was thinking so. How do I know she is squating? I have heard that you can put a golf ball in their bed and it will trick them into laying.... Does that work?

Yes!! Lol. I was thinking so. How do I know she is squating? I have heard that you can put a golf ball in their bed and it will trick them into laying.... Does that work?

The golf ball doesn't "trick" them into laying so much as show them where the eggs should go. It is an encourager as where to lay, not when they start laying. Silkies are notoriously late developers and will likely start laying later than other breeds. But every chicken, even silkies are different. Typically they will start squatting about a week before they lay (but I have had chickens that never did squat), and you will see changes in their comb color.

I just re-read your post and realized you may be wondering how you notice the "squat". It will be obvious! One day, if she does start squatting, you will walk past, reach down toward her, etc and she will stoop down low, spread her wing out slightly and freeze there for a few seconds....it's hard to miss once she starts doing it.

I posted these a couple of months ago with no responses so I assumed they were too young. They are now just about 4 months old. Any guesses? If I need more pics please let me know what kind I need to take.

This is Red

This is Pearl, his/her feathers are wet so that may be an issue with sexing

This is Lola, with Pearl in the background

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom