silkie sexing

I posted these a couple of months ago with no responses so I assumed they were too young. They are now just about 4 months old. Any guesses? If I need more pics please let me know what kind I need to take.

This is Red

This is Pearl, his/her feathers are wet so that may be an issue with sexing

This is Lola, with Pearl in the background

Thanks in advance
I didn't find much help on this thread either. I think that it was originally such an old thread that all of the early people unsubscribed. I am no expert but I will try to make a guess. I have a white silkie that I am still trying to figure out as well.

So, I assume your pics are taken with a cell phone because they are super small and don't blow up. They are hard to see. The comb on Red is a bit of concern, but I have a hen that has a big good size red comb and waddles. Pearl's feathers being wet does make it tough. I would think pullet because of small comb but the crazy looking crest would be more roo-sh unless of course that's just from being wet. I would say pullet for Lola based on round looking crest but I can't see the comb. I had a black roo and he basically had no crest and big waddles but a small comb.

A question: What is their size comparison? My black roo was huge compared to my pullets.

I don't know if I am any help here. Maybe some suggestion is better than none? I guess you can compare my thoughts to what you were thinking?

I posted these a couple of months ago with no responses so I assumed they were too young. They are now just about 4 months old. Any guesses? If I need more pics please let me know what kind I need to take. This is Red This is Pearl, his/her feathers are wet so that may be an issue with sexing This is Lola, with Pearl in the background Thanks in advance
I'm also no expert, just a fellow silkie owner but based on your photos I would say Red looks like a cockerel, Pearl I'm really not sure and Lola looks like a pullet. Hope this helps some.

I posted these a couple of months ago with no responses so I assumed they were too young. They are now just about 4 months old. Any guesses? If I need more pics please let me know what kind I need to take. This is Red This is Pearl, his/her feathers are wet so that may be an issue with sexing This is Lola, with Pearl in the background Thanks in advance
Red looks like your only cockerel to me. Cuties! :)

I didn't find much help on this thread either. I think that it was originally such an old thread that all of the early people unsubscribed. I am no expert but I will try to make a guess. I have a white silkie that I am still trying to figure out as well.

So, I assume your pics are taken with a cell phone because they are super small and don't blow up. They are hard to see. The comb on Red is a bit of concern, but I have a hen that has a big good size red comb and waddles. Pearl's feathers being wet does make it tough. I would think pullet because of small comb but the crazy looking crest would be more roo-sh unless of course that's just from being wet. I would say pullet for Lola based on round looking crest but I can't see the comb. I had a black roo and he basically had no crest and big waddles but a small comb.

A question: What is their size comparison? My black roo was huge compared to my pullets.

I don't know if I am any help here. Maybe some suggestion is better than none? I guess you can compare my thoughts to what you were thinking?

Jessica, yes it was a cell phone so I will get my camera out when Pearl has a dry head to try for better pics. Red does have a much bigger and noticeable comb than the other (I can't find one on them worth mentioning). Pearl's head is usually pretty round but not as much as Lola, you are correct, being wet didn't help. I am not even sure why they are wet, I was wondering if Red was trying to breed because they were wet for hours and I can't imagine her dunking her head in the water all day but who knows.

Their size is all about the same, none is really any larger than the other. Red was a runt of the bunch when they were first hatched but has grown to catch up. S/He does bully the others but that could just be the pecking order.

I was also thinking Red was a roo because of the comb but he does not have streamers. I posted on another thread and someone else thought he was a roo that may not have streamers yet so I guess I wait until he crows to know for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts too mom-to-5

Red looks like your only cockerel to me. Cuties!
smile.png

I hope I am lucky enough to end up with only one roo thanks!

Yep, I thought that was a strong possibility of Red being the roo. Hopefully Pearl is a girl. I'm pretty sure Lola is.

My silkie that was still in question did a big time squat for me today. Problem solved! Yay! Two lovely white silkie hens!

Back
Top Bottom