silkie sexing

Thanks for the responses. Here are some short video clips of Baby Chicken, close-up. These were taken in his ninth week. He's just turned ten weeks old now. (I always refer to him as a 'he', but I'm really hoping 'he' is a 'she'):

Thanks for taking a look!

Hey guys, I just bought my first ever chicks last week, and have a quick question. I got one Australorp, one Orpington, one Easter egger, and one Silkie. The feed store says that they are all pullets, but the Silkie is acting different...
hu.gif
Is it possible to sex silkies, or any chicken for that matter, based on behavior? Because my Silkie is much smaller than the other, but is LOUD.
duc.gif
I have been trying to socialize them so I often pick them up and pet them or give them treats occasionally, and most of my chicks like it. But my Silkie yells LOUD and even when she is in the brrody, she is always peeping really loud, at the top of her lungs! Plus, for a breed that is supposed to be docile and friendly, she sure is antisocial and standoffish!
sad.png

Anyways, I was just wondering if I got a mean hen, or if behavior can be any indication to the sex, thanks!!!
big_smile.png

P.S. The chicks are all one week old.

Hey guys, I just bought my first ever chicks last week, and have a quick question. I got one Australorp, one Orpington, one Easter egger, and one Silkie. The feed store says that they are all pullets, but the Silkie is acting different... :confused:  Is it possible to sex silkies, or any chicken for that matter, based on behavior? Because my Silkie is much smaller than the other, but is LOUD. :duc  I have been trying to socialize them so I often pick them up and pet them or give them treats occasionally, and most of my chicks like it. But my Silkie yells LOUD and even when she is in the brrody, she is always peeping really loud, at the top of her lungs! Plus, for a breed that is supposed to be docile and friendly, she sure is antisocial and standoffish! :(  

Anyways, I was just wondering if I got a mean hen, or if behavior can be any indication to the sex, thanks!!! :D

I would be super surprised if a feed store employee could sex a silkie at one week, most silkie breeders can't even do that. They can be DNA sexed but I'm sure then you would have been given paperwork or told it was and it would have increased the price.

My experience with a single silkie in a regular size flock is that they are not particularly at home and so are very vocal, thus the description of ours as neurotic lol. She was also very vocal and not your typically friendly silkie either. Ours did eventually settle and quieten down with age but she has always been a bit of a loner and bottom of the flock.

Hey guys, I just bought my first ever chicks last week, and have a quick question. I got one Australorp, one Orpington, one Easter egger, and one Silkie. The feed store says that they are all pullets, but the Silkie is acting different... :confused:  Is it possible to sex silkies, or any chicken for that matter, based on behavior? Because my Silkie is much smaller than the other, but is LOUD. :duc  I have been trying to socialize them so I often pick them up and pet them or give them treats occasionally, and most of my chicks like it. But my Silkie yells LOUD and even when she is in the brrody, she is always peeping really loud, at the top of her lungs! Plus, for a breed that is supposed to be docile and friendly, she sure is antisocial and standoffish! :(  

Anyways, I was just wondering if I got a mean hen, or if behavior can be any indication to the sex, thanks!!! :D

While silkies are chickens, you kind of have to treat them like a totally different animal. They rarely bond with other breeds and are much happier and friendlier when they have another silkie friend or two. They stay small and don't eat as much as layer hens so go back to the feed store and get another. You will both feel better.

They are ground birds, meaning they don't like being up high. Try holding her sitting on the ground instead of while standing. She may complain less. I found this to be true with my silkies. Also, support their feet. Most chickens can be help by the breast and they will be fine with that. Silkies often aren't. They like to feel stable.

As far as sexing goes, silkie sexing is very difficult. I don't know of any hatchery that sells them sexed, and any breeder that does has to sell them as older pullets. Post some photos in 6 weeks and we will help you sex them, but until then, it's a toss up.

Constant peeping at such a young age is usually a sign that the chick is either in pain, not warm enough , too warm , hungry or thirsty. In other words something may be amiss.Vent Sexing bantams is not recommended as it is very easy to cause injury to such small chicks.

I have one Silkie who lives quite happily with 2 x Pekin bantams, 1 x bantam Langshan and 1 x Frizzle Pekin; she is very close to the Frizzle but everyone gets along without issue :)

While I would not describe her as louder than the others, her chicken speak is definitely 'deeper'. While she was sitting on eggs she did great peacock impersonations!

Back
Top Bottom