silkie sexing

Hey guys, I just bought my first ever chicks last week, and have a quick question. I got one Australorp, one Orpington, one Easter egger, and one Silkie. The feed store says that they are all pullets, but the Silkie is acting different... :confused:  Is it possible to sex silkies, or any chicken for that matter, based on behavior? Because my Silkie is much smaller than the other, but is LOUD. :duc  I have been trying to socialize them so I often pick them up and pet them or give them treats occasionally, and most of my chicks like it. But my Silkie yells LOUD and even when she is in the brrody, she is always peeping really loud, at the top of her lungs! Plus, for a breed that is supposed to be docile and friendly, she sure is antisocial and standoffish! :(  

Anyways, I was just wondering if I got a mean hen, or if behavior can be any indication to the sex, thanks!!! :D

P.S. The chicks are all one week old.

I was almost certain my silkie hen was a roo until she was 16 weeks, she would do chest bumps every morning with her flock mates, was loud, etc....but, she's a pullet!! Definitely confusing sometimes.

I have one Silkie who lives quite happily with 2 x Pekin bantams, 1 x bantam Langshan and 1 x Frizzle Pekin; she is very close to the Frizzle but everyone gets along without issue :)

While I would not describe her as louder than the others, her chicken speak is definitely 'deeper'.  While she was sitting on eggs she did great peacock impersonations!
Is that a bantam croad Langshan or a German langshan. If croad, where did you get it!!! I must know!!!

Is that a bantam croad Langshan or a German langshan. If croad, where did you get it!!! I must know!!!
Hi :)

As far as I know she is a Bantam Australian Langshan which are derived from the Croad Langshan.

I do not know if there are lots of them in Australia as Dusty is my first experience with them. Funnily enough I picked her up at a local Feed Store; she was in the cage by herself because the others were picking on her and those big brown eyes melted my heart. When I got her home she was an absolute stress-mess but she has turned into a beautiful, confident little gal with a wonderful temperament and she gets on so well with the others:

Last edited:
Hello silkie lovers!
I recently got four chicks in a brooder, and unfortunately, three died suddenly, leaving me with a lovely white silkie.
Sooooo... I'm very keen to know if he/she is a boy or girl, and I was really hoping someone could help me!

The chick in question is around 8 weeks old, is very timid but is friendly if you are quiet around him/her. Would love a pullet, as can't keep roosters! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello silkie lovers!
I recently got four chicks in a brooder, and unfortunately, three died suddenly, leaving me with a lovely white silkie.
Sooooo... I'm very keen to know if he/she is a boy or girl, and I was really hoping someone could help me!

The chick in question is around 8 weeks old, is very timid but is friendly if you are quiet around him/her. Would love a pullet, as can't keep roosters! Any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.png

A bit early to tell for sure. But, if I were to guess (based on comb area) I would say cockerel. But you should have a better idea around 4 -5 months.

Thank you very much for your input. I did think that it was too early to tell, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or guesses. :)

I am not sure if I am in the right place for this question, but I have two silkies. One pullet and one roo. Talking with someone in the feed store yesterday, he mentioned tha I need at least 3-4 more girls or else the roo will take a toll on my one girl. Is this the case or will they be fine just the two of them?

I am not sure if I am in the right place for this question, but I have two silkies. One pullet and one roo. Talking with someone in the feed store yesterday, he mentioned tha I need at least 3-4 more girls or else the roo will take a toll on my one girl. Is this the case or will they be fine just the two of them?

Hi and :welcome
There is the potential for a lone hen to be ' over sexed ' but not always. I have a breeding pair of whites that do very well alone. If you see excessive feather loss around the back of the head or across the ' saddle ' area on your hen , then it is time to bring some more pullets in. :)

Back
Top Bottom