silkie sexing

Hi everyone,

These are my 4 month old silkies that we brought at 3 weeks old from a show breeder. Can you let me know if they are hens or roos ? My guess is white = roo black = hen, but that's just going on the wattle size ? Black one was hard to photograph, but it doesn't have any wattles and it's hair covers it eyes allot more than the white ones.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

These are my 4 month old silkies that we brought at 3 weeks old from a show breeder. Can you let me know if they are hens or roos ? My guess is white = roo black = hen, but that's just going on the wattle size ? Black one was hard to photograph, but it doesn't have any wattles and it's hair covers it eyes allot more than the white ones.

Thanks

I agree with your assessment! White is a definite cockerel. Can't really see the comb on the black but from body shape and posture I would lean towards pullet.

We go back and forth almost every day between thinking this 13 week-old silkie is a pullet or cockerel... What are your thoughts?

I would lean towards cockerel because of stance and swept-back feathers on head. I don't see streamers yet, they do not tend to come in until a bit later. Comb is also a bit on the bigger side for a pullet of that age.

Scrolling through, it looks like you never got an answer. To me that looks like a rooster because of the comb size and the upright stance. Sometimes it can be very hard to tell though, so you'll probably have to wait for your first egg or crow.

Edit: I took another look and I'm actually more sure that it's a rooster. He has sickles in his tail and streamers on his crest and neck. His color is spectacular though and silkie Roos still make lovely pets is you don't mind the occasional crowing.
Thank you, I also think she is a he, he is the most lovely sweet natured bird just hoping that his crowing isn't too regular when he starts as I would love to keep him :)

I never got around to posting photos of my four silkies. Today we found an egg so at least one of the four is a pullet. They are about 5 months old. The one I always thought was a roo still seems to be a roo with a large comb and wattles but no streamers. The one I always thought was a pullet still seems to be a pullet. The only bearded one has a small bump for a comb but no wattles or streamers. The fourth has small wattles and a flat red spot in place of a comb. No crowing from any of the silkies but we might not notice with six full sized roosters and one cockerel the same age as the silkies.

Last edited:
My silkie is just over 4 weeks old, and I am hoping for a pullet! :) I know she is a bit young for sexing, just wondering if anyone had guesses. :) I tried to get good pictures, but she is the flighty one of the group. :/

For quite sometime now we have thought and been told thar Beatrice is a pullet but lately she sure has shown some roo behavior ! She is almost 5 months old .So what do yall think ?

Back
Top Bottom