silkie sexing

Puller or cockerel? Please help!

I would say c

My computer keeps acting up, sorry about the earlier post but I say probablt cockerel based on the swept back crest and wattles forming. How old?
I had my suspicions when it started using the roosting bar in the coop that is next to a window looking out into the yard. I have 2 black Aussies same age that still pile up at night.

I hope its ok to post my silkie/Brahma mix here.
hide.gif
Can you help me determine if our Pippy is a hen or roo? She is 11 weeks. We are hoping she is a she since our last silkie ended up being a roo.

<<<I hope its ok to post my silkie/Brahma mix here.
hide.gif
Can you help me determine if our Pippy is a hen or roo? She is 11 weeks. We are hoping she is a she since our last silkie ended up being a roo.>>>

Hello, I just came on to post pictures of my chicks to hopefully get a few responses of gender and saw your post. Although I am by no means an expert, my immediate first gut response was rooster, but it will be much more apparent in a week or so because you will either see those red wattles and comb start growing or stay small... and this is assuming that your cute little chick has more brahma characteristics in the face, which is neither scientific nor accurate, so take my opinion with a very very tiny grain of salt. I purchased 4 straight run EE chicks and at 3, 4, and 5 months old EVERYONE told me that all four were boys and 4 years later I have 4 lovely EE hens.

Hello everyone, This was my first Silkie hatch and it was a nightmare on my nerves! Don't think incubator hatching is for me :)

What is everyone's opinion on these 5 little rascals? I love them regardless of gender, but I wanted to at least kinda know what their gender might be so I can name them a little better. Right now their names are Moo, Goo, Gai, Pan, and Lo Mein because we were eating Chinese food when they were hatching.

They are all roughly 2 months old today (8 weeks and 4 days). Thank you in advance for everyone's comments and thoughts!

Moo (very curious and the largest of all of the Silkies hatched, so we were leaning towards a rooster, but not sure... also what color is this called? Splash? or Paint? or other?)

Goo (kinda has a mad scientist look to him/her)

Gai (thinking that this one might be a roo because s/he kept photo bombing every attempted shot :)

Pan (timid so I am thinking girl, but they are all kind of skittish so not really sure here)

And our favorite, Lo Mein, because s/he was the smallest and sickliest and fought hard to live and pulled through.

Thanks again and sorry for being picture heavy. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Hello everyone, This was my first Silkie hatch and it was a nightmare on my nerves! Don't think incubator hatching is for me :)

What is everyone's opinion on these 5 little rascals? I love them regardless of gender, but I wanted to at least kinda know what their gender might be so I can name them a little better. Right now their names are Moo, Goo, Gai, Pan, and Lo Mein because we were eating Chinese food when they were hatching.

They are all roughly 2 months old today (8 weeks and 4 days). Thank you in advance for everyone's comments and thoughts!

Moo (very curious and the largest of all of the Silkies hatched, so we were leaning towards a rooster, but not sure... also what color is this called? Splash? or Paint? or other?)

Gai (thinking that this one might be a roo because s/he kept photo bombing every attempted shot :)

Pan (timid so I am thinking girl, but they are all kind of skittish so not really sure here)

And our favorite, Lo Mein, because s/he was the smallest and sickliest and fought hard to live and pulled through.

Thanks again and sorry for being picture heavy. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
The only one I feel certain about is Goo is a pullet. Her crest is huge compared to the others, and very round. The others are still a but unclear to me.

I reckon Gai a cockerel (because of his red comb) and all the rest pullets.
they are all very cute! I love how they kinda have strips on them (and sorry I don't know if they are paint or slash)

I think Moo is a cockerel, but not sure. Gai IS a boy, his cuckoo color is very light (look to Pan for comparison). I'm not sure about Lo Mein, in some pics that one looks dark, in others it looks light. If its colored similar to Gai, its a boy too (I'm leaning towards girl).

Your cuckoos are pretty nice, only one has a reddish comb. Light skin and combs are common in cuckoos, so if you get a dark skinned one, your doing pretty good from a breeding standpoint. Beautiful chickies, for sure!

Moo is a nice, dark splash ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom