silkie sexing

Ok any guesses on this one. He/she is 4 weeks old.

He/she is six weeks old now and will be seven weeks on Sunday. I am thinking female so far based on her tail its pretty big and puffy. I thought I heard somewhere females tails grow faster. Has anyone heard this?

He/she is six weeks old now and will be seven weeks on Sunday. I am thinking female so far based on her tail its pretty big and puffy. I thought I heard somewhere females tails grow faster. Has anyone heard this?
I don't think that this is necessarily true for Silkies, but can be a possible indication in other breeds. I usually go by overall appearance (how they hold themselves), comb development, and if their crest is round or slicked back.

Silkies are without doubt one of the most challenging breeds to sex. Your standard feather sexing doesn't apply to this breed. They are late bloomers and anything before 12-16 weeks would be a guess. Bright side is , there's a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly. Vent sexing is considered too dangerous in bantams and the only way to accurately sex them would be DNA testing.
The joys of being a silkie owner. Gotta love the little fluff balls.

Back
Top Bottom