silkie sexing

Here is a updated pic of my black silkie it was hatch on 12/31/14 I have maran roo that iam rehome on Tuesday
If the silkie is a roo the he go with him.

Thank you

[/quote

I think your black ones hat actually looks poofy like a hen

Ok I posted a month ago and was too soon to tell. I have strong feelings this is a cockerel but would love confirmation. This is 8 weeks old now:

Still too early. I have a hen that looked like this around that age but it could be a roo too. You really need to wait another month or even a bit more.

Here is a updated pic of my black silkie it was hatch on 12/31/14 I have maran roo that iam rehome on Tuesday
If the silkie is a roo the he go with him.

Thank you

I personally think this is a pullet. My black roo looked nothing like this. He had barely any feathers on his swept back head and a big purple comb. I'd hold out on this one if I were you!!

I personally think this is a pullet.  My black roo looked nothing like this.  He had barely any feathers on his swept back head and a big purple comb.  I'd hold out on this one if I were you!!

Thank you. I think I will hold on to it, last year I hatched 15 silkie the 2 I gave to my next door neighbor ending up being girls the one I keep Tess the hawk got her and the rest all boys! Have a happy Mother's Day :D

Can you sex these? Each pic is a different silkie.

The first is definitely a cockerel and the last two are pullets. Male partridges tend to have more red, and the last two have more female-type coloring. Of the others - not quite sure! If you post pics of their combs it might help. My guess (which definitely could be wrong!) would be: #2 cockerel, #3, 4, 5 possible/probable pullets! Beautiful birds, btw
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom