silkie sexing

So happy to see this thread! I have one Silkie that is now 11 weeks old. I have one Roo Silkie and one Hen Silkie that loves raising babies!! She is raising 7 little chicks that are two weeks old now. This Silkie is from her previous hatchlings and I am so wanting her to be a pullet. So much so, that I think I could be ignoring obvious signs. Thanks for any opinions!

Judging by the bottom pic, I would guess cockerel.... But its a small picture lol, and two of them his/her head is down, but the little mullet starting would make me think roo too ;)

Anyone want to take a guess? I really hope they're all girls. I can't have roosters where I live and I've become rather attached. Bearded silkies about 12-14 weeks old (Chicken A is about 2-3 weeks older than B and C). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A: Very low, squat posture when walking and most of the time. Round puff ball of feathers on head. Found some metallic blue/green feathers on wings and noticed a very small wattle this week. Very mellow. In the picture she has some wet feathers in the front, that's why they look a little spiky. She's the one I'm worried about the most. What color is she?
B: Sorry, couldn't get a better picture of her head but the feathers are rounded.
C: Rounded feathers on head. What color is she?

Last edited:

My black bantam silkie 11 weeks old, please help male or female has a single comb. Thank you!

Last edited:
Anyone want to take a guess? I really hope they're all girls. I can't have roosters where I live and I've become rather attached. Bearded silkies about 12-14 weeks old (Chicken A is about 2-3 weeks older than B and C). Any help would be greatly appreciated! A: Very low, squat posture when walking and most of the time. Round puff ball of feathers on head. Found some metallic blue/green feathers on wings and noticed a very small wattle this week. Very mellow. In the picture she has some wet feathers in the front, that's why they look a little spiky. She's the one I'm worried about the most. What color is she? B: Sorry, couldn't get a better picture of her head but the feathers are rounded. C: Rounded feathers on head. What color is she? [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
Keep A, she's a pretty one :D.... B looks LIKELY to be female....C looks like it might be male, but pretty young to tell.... I think the color would be a splash? Maybe blue splash? Thats a guess; Im not good with colors other than white, black, and buff lol ;)

Judging by the bottom pic, I would guess cockerel.... But its a small picture lol, and two of them his/her head is down, but the little mullet starting would make me think roo too ;)

Sorry about the teeny tiny pictures... Does make it more challenging. Even with the tiny pics you had to work with, I think you're right. I was watching him this morning and trying to determine if what I was seeing was the beginning of the streamers and I think the tail feathers grew over night... Ugh...
Thank you for replying and bringing me back to reality. I really have a hard time parting with these little Roos. They are always so sweet and beautiful, but I can't stand guard for my hens 24/7 nor build the Roos individual homes (I have contemplated it like a crazy person) Thanks again!

This is the only one of our 3 silkies (age 18 weeks) that we haven't witnessed crowing. This seems an awful lot like hen behavior to me! Please tell me Whitey is a girl - I so wanted at least one silkie hen.

0.jpg

Hey there ladies and gents!
I acquired 3 baby Silkies (seem to be cross breeds) in December of 2014.

The smallest(and about 3 weeks younger) at the time is now a proud crowing rooster (in front)

The bird behind him is a hen that is now sitting on her first clutch of eggs. (also below)

The picture below is the sibling of the hen above. Though my problem is that I don't know if the bird below is a roster or hen.

This bird's wattle and comb is the smallest of the lot, and she is much smaller than the rooster above, and she doesn't have the back pointing plumage as the rooster does (on his head and neck). This bird also has what looks like scales on its legs in perfect placement for leg spikes would grow on a rooster. I have no evidence to suggest that this bird has laid an egg or crowed as yet.

Lastly as to its character, whats most notable is that it bumps chest/breast with the rooster as they jump and seem to confront each other?

If anyone could confirm this bird as a hen or rooster, I would be most grateful.

Back
Top Bottom