silkie sexing

Hello, I'm hoping you guys could help me. I got 5 beautiful silkies a few months ago and although told that they had been sexed. I am wondering about the gender of two of them, it might just be me but I'm sure I can see boyish traits, on the brown one Conker, I think he/she may be developing streamers and long hackle feathers although His/her comb is still relatively flat. Whereas Harri the buff silkie has a much larger comb than all of the rest and it is a reddish colour rather than a black one like the rest and I'm wondering if I can also see streamers developing in Harri too. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm driving my OH nuts asking him all the time, as he is convinced that they are all girls. Thank you. Forgot to add that they are 6 months old :)

Look like pullets :) Very pretty pullets... The "streamers" would sweep back almost into a mullet lol... Poofy tops, no mullets, pullets :D

So I did a photo shoot with my 3 Silkies to get some comparison shots of their sizes, and hopefully some good closeups for this thread.

I think they are fairly young yet to be able to tell gender, but I figured that whoever wants to could have fun guessing.

I got these chicks on May 1st of this year, and they were SO tiny - they had just been hatched, although I'm pretty sure one is a bit older than the others. So I guess that makes them around 10ish weeks old?

I am really hoping that I have at least one pullet :/

I put them in the bathtub with some scratch to try to get a few shots of them together to compare sizing, but they don't stay very still, so I apologize for the poor quality of these pics:

Jubilee - this is the one that I'm guessing (or maybe mostly hoping) is a girl lol. S(he) doesn't have any wattles coming in yet.

Pepper - this is the one I think may be a little older because s(he) already has the little comb and wattles coming in. But maybe it also means this is a roo?

Raven - my little crazy feathered baby. This one's feathers have always been a little curly, almost like s(he) might have a little frizzle. So I don't know if that's why the crazy crest or if s(he) is a roo. No wattles on this one yet either.

Last edited:
My buff roo is still smaller than my black hen at 4 months. He was bigger at day 1, but it switched in a few days. I accurately wing sexed mine at one day...pretty proud of that since I had never had chickens before. IDK, how much luck others have had with that. My female also has a more rounded bit of head fluff and actually has a clearer line of sight. My male has more of a mohawk....but if I don't clip he can't see at all.

I also need help sexing my silkies- they are 14 weeks old here

This one is obviously a roo

Not sure about this one?

This one is also a mystery

Pretty sure this one is a pullet

I'd love to hear what you all think!

So I did a photo shoot with my 3 Silkies to get some comparison shots of their sizes, and hopefully some good closeups for this thread. I think they are fairly young yet to be able to tell gender, but I figured that whoever wants to could have fun guessing. I got these chicks on May 1st of this year, and they were SO tiny - they had just been hatched, although I'm pretty sure one is a bit older than the others. So I guess that makes them around 10ish weeks old? I am really hoping that I have at least one pullet :/ I put them in the bathtub with some scratch to try to get a few shots of them together to compare sizing, but they don't stay very still, so I apologize for the poor quality of these pics: Jubilee - this is the one that I'm guessing (or maybe mostly hoping) is a girl lol. S(he) doesn't have any wattles coming in yet. Pepper - this is the one I think may be a little older because s(he) already has the little comb and wattles coming in. But maybe it also means this is a roo? Raven - my little crazy feathered baby. This one's feathers have always been a little curly, almost like s(he) might have a little frizzle. So I don't know if that's why the crazy crest or if s(he) is a roo. No wattles on this one yet either.
I'm curious on the wing pics...my black silkie started out with stripped barbs like that, they were like wire, and he never did get a proper poofy top lol... I think I gavevup trying to sex everyone else's ha-ha; there are just too many unreliable variables for pictures to show...its a personality thing that helps me, almost an intuition; I can FEEL boy ha-ha :D
My buff roo is still smaller than my black hen at 4 months. He was bigger at day 1, but it switched in a few days. I accurately wing sexed mine at one day...pretty proud of that since I had never had chickens before. IDK, how much luck others have had with that. My female also has a more rounded bit of head fluff and actually has a clearer line of sight. My male has more of a mohawk....but if I don't clip he can't see at all.
I've read both ways on wing sexing, "parents had to be fast feathering/ slow feathering etc.... But IMO, if there's something that works more than 50% of the time, then its worth a shot ;) It's better than a ring on a string lol... Although I DID use that both times I was expecting, and it was 2 for 2... Lol coincidence ;)

Last edited:
All right, guys. I pisted a thing not too ling ago about these guys when they were 10 weeks or such, but now I have recent puctures. Chewy is the black one and Honey is the partridge. They are 14 to 15 weeks.

I just want opinions, lol. Do these look like pullets? Im not so surr about my partridge, but, at the same time, Chewy is bigger. :hmm I will have 2 more chickens in question later today, but I havent got pictures if them yet.

Last edited:
Hi! My silkies are 6 or 7 weeks old maybe even 8 lol when i got them from the guy he said one week and ive been counting from the day he said that but the growth hasnt seemed consistent to others their age. I have 2 and one seems he is probably a boy for sure and the other im not sure on. One of them is tame and the other is very flighty they have always been like that only way to twll them apart up until now and i actually think it might be backwards from what you would think meaning the boy is calm the "girl" is jumpy but i need a little more time with them to be sure on that i just discovered all of this while letting them free range with my kids. the boy has a wattle and comb that sticks up and his ear is a lot more noticable than that of the girl which isnt and has no wattle and the comb is wide but flat almost at least compared to the boy. Both of their crest on the head isnt very full the girls maybe a tad bit more no streamers as of yet that i notice i am new to chickens all together.
Am i right one boy one girl or one boy maybe girl tome will tell? Or both boys? Thank you so much for any help!!

This on is th one i am hoping is a girl

Here is another one of her

And here is a pictue of both of them together i didnt get seperate pictures of the roo bu he is the one in the food bowl in both of these pic below

here is one i think is boy facing camera.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom