silkie sexing

not a proper comb for a silkie  - is this a hatchery bird??

No, I purchased the 3 of them from a chicken post online. What could it be if not a silkie? Sorry, I'm new to this breed. I would assume if it's not a silkie then it is definitely a roo. That's some pretty significant comb growth for its age.

Here is a full body shot.

I'm not sure on the sex but it probably is still full bred. It could have had a mix in its family somewhere or it could have popped up from other things. It's not showable with the straight comb but still fine as a cute pet. :)

Thanks so much for your input
1f60a.png
. I thought it was odd that I couldn't find another comb like it on any of the other silkie threads. He/she is super cute I just can't have roosters unfortunately so I like to be in the know sooner than later. I know this is a tricky breed to sex though.

Thanks so much for your input
1f60a.png
. I thought it was odd that I couldn't find another comb like it on any of the other silkie threads. He/she is super cute I just can't have roosters unfortunately so I like to be in the know sooner than later. I know this is a tricky breed to sex though.

It's hard to say. The comb does look boyish but the body looks female. They really are tricky. The only one I know for sure is my buff cause he started crowing lol.

Hi everyone! Great thread! I'm looking for help on sexing 2 of my 3 silkies. They are all about 3 months old. These are (from left to right)- horus, smaug, and gizzmo
I'm certain that Smaug (the white silkie) is a boy. He started crowing yesterday. He is considerably bigger than the other two and also has the large comb and significant waddles. I'm hoping that the other two are hens but I am worried that they are just beta roosters. Any help would be appreciated!

Close up of Chick #1 (Horus):

Close-ups of Chick #3 (Gizzmo):

For reference, close-ups of Chick #2 in the picture (Smaug)... the known roo:

I'm asking about the pet quality silky on the left. He or she? He or she is 20 weeks old. I have never seen it try to mate my hens. Never heard it crow but still am on the fence about this one's gender.

Last edited:
Hi all!
A little help needed.
Got my silkie chick she is 2 months old
My friends said she is a lady.was the smallest roundest and fluffiest of all othes chicks.
I dont know what to think:(
In neeeed her to de a she.

Tnx

Back
Top Bottom