silkie sexing

Pics
Small crest sweeped back crest thinking roo, butthen again its crest just maybe coming in... Cant really see its comb... So it could be a girl...
hmm.png
yep its just a guess at this point in time lol

Roos have them i. Their crest and the back of their necks.. Usually come in at around 3months...they ar longer feathers then the rest of their crest making it look spikey rather then a hens round uniform crest.

Here's some of my 3 month olds for the silkie guessing game.
fl.gif
Let me know what ya'll think.
big_smile.png

1. Fluffy -a blue/Partridge. I don't have any pictures of comb, because the crest is too big.But, comb is small

2. Puff -splash silkie with a single comb from a cochin ancestor (but otherwise nice)

3. Cleo -Splash with small comb. This is the smallest chick of the 9...but Cleo/Cleon likes to chest bumb with the cockerels?

1 and 2 look like pullets... Round full crest... 3 possible roo not as round or full crest... Sort of stick up in the back possible streamers coming in? Stance a lil rooish... But small comb hmmmm... It could go either way lol :/ but all are so very pretty

1 and 2 look like pullets... Round full crest... 3 possible roo not as round or full crest... Sort of stick up in the back possible streamers coming in? Stance a lil rooish... But small comb hmmmm... It could go either way lol
hmm.png
but all are so very pretty
Thank you, I'm sort of leaning in the same direction. I incubated them all myself and have enjoyed seeing them develop. 1&2 are really named Ms. Fluff and Ms. Puff. The breeder surprisingly thought 3 (Cleo Patra) was more girlie, but I might have a "Little Cleon"! I wondered if those were streamers, but Cleo is the slowest to develop and the smallest chick. He/she has alot of those pin feathers coming in right now in "splash" colors. Either way, they are all keepers and I can't wait until they are fully mature and start "makin' babies"!

I've heard that the better the quality of silkie, the longer it takes to sex properly. These eggs were from SQ BBS pens, so they could go either way with gender. For example, these are my 4 month old dark Blues that hatched a month earlier. They look so much alike that I keep a leg band on one. Here's a picture. They look a bit scraggly because they devoured a watermelon and I'm yet to wash their faces!

They are named Misty Blue and BB. Any opinions on their gender?

here is the only picture i have of the comb. it is the little bump between the feathers.
600x450px-LL-4fb72e36_100_3958.jpeg

i just relised i never posted her name. it is blackberry.
thanks for the help.

Cali - they are both lovely think left girl right maybe roo just cause comb a little wider but i see no streamers soo girl lol... I had streamer show up on some of the chicks ive had growi in at 3months and then o had some grow in at 5 months so it all depends on the chick... I did also have the smallest and slowest chick end up being a roo too... Silkies are so fun to guess at

Bantamgirl i tuink blackberry is a girl

Thank you, I'm sort of leaning in the same direction. I incubated them all myself and have enjoyed seeing them develop. 1&2 are really named Ms. Fluff and Ms. Puff. The breeder surprisingly thought 3 (Cleo Patra) was more girlie, but I might have a "Little Cleon"! I wondered if those were streamers, but Cleo is the slowest to develop and the smallest chick. He/she has alot of those pin feathers coming in right now in "splash" colors. Either way, they are all keepers and I can't wait until they are fully mature and start "makin' babies"!

I've heard that the better the quality of silkie, the longer it takes to sex properly. These eggs were from SQ BBS pens, so they could go either way with gender. For example, these are my 4 month old dark Blues that hatched a month earlier. They look so much alike that I keep a leg band on one. Here's a picture. They look a bit scraggly because they devoured a watermelon and I'm yet to wash their faces!

They are named Misty Blue and BB. Any opinions on their gender?
looks like a breeding pair

looks like a breeding pair
sad.png
BB acts very girlie, but she might just be a sweet boy...I was hoping for 2 girls, but BB would be an awesome Daddy in the BBS pen. There will be a good mix of colors b/n my hens and roos. I'll probably need to change "her" name to Bullet if it's a "him".
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom