silkie sexing

Pics
Hi! I have 2 silkies, almost 4 months old. We've had them since about day 3.
Silkie A is slightly bigger and a darker shade than the other, it has a single comb. (Silkie A began crowing yesterday early morning about 6 times, but didn't crow this morning.)
Silkie B has always been smaller but has a different comb. She/he is a lot more docile.
Can someone tell if they are hens? (The town we live in does not allow roosters.)
My husband, two boys and I are hoping for two hens (We also have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 plymouth barred rocks, hoping those are hens too!)
Thanks in advanced!

Silkie A & B

Silkie A

Silkie B

I am no expert but they look like boys to me ..... sorry
hide.gif
Boys have the swept back poufs and larger combs ...... I just posted pictures of some of my 3 month olds in a diff thread and for reference I'll post a picture of one voted a girl and one voted a boy....

This is the boy ... Notice the swept back hairdo, the large comb and the red wattles coming in ........

Now for a hen ........ Notice her bigger rounder fluffier pouf.... smaller comb not that you can see it under that pouf and no wattles.....

Also you silkie A doesn't have the typical Walnut comb of a Silkie so maybe its a cross???

Good luck rehoming your boys..... Sorry

Hi! I have 2 silkies, almost 4 months old. We've had them since about day 3.
Silkie A is slightly bigger and a darker shade than the other, it has a single comb. (Silkie A began crowing yesterday early morning about 6 times, but didn't crow this morning.)
Silkie B has always been smaller but has a different comb. She/he is a lot more docile.
Can someone tell if they are hens? (The town we live in does not allow roosters.)
My husband, two boys and I are hoping for two hens (We also have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 plymouth barred rocks, hoping those are hens too!)
Thanks in advanced!

Silkie A & B

Silkie A

Silkie B

both of these are cockerels

Thanks for all the opinions so far... I'm so sadden with the thought that our silkies may be roosters. These are my favorite from our flock. I guess, we will have to keep trying for keeper!
A question: If I get a silkie chick(s) will they do good with our current flock. We have 6 in total now, all about 4 months. Would I have to keep the baby chick(s) inside with heat lamp like we did for the others, or can our 4 month chickens do the work. I guess Im thinking ahead of myself!

Thanks!

Yes, it is a recessive gene, fortunately. Silkies breeders will sometimes use other breeds (such as cochins) to get the lovely colors and different feathering we like in our silkies, frilkies, sizzles and frizzles-LOL! I recently hatched a dozen silkies from Show Quality BBS pens and I got 3 silkies with a single comb.
sad.png
(I'll attach a picture of one of them). The breeder was shocked that I got 3, but had warned me that one of the hens was a frizzle/silkie cross. I was willing to get a frizzle, but I didn't realize until they were 3 months old that they had single combs....This only makes it more difficult to sex!
he.gif
Anyway, I might keep one of them to breed (if all else is perfect) and put them with a mate that has a perfect pea comb.

This is Powder Puff whose single comb is hard to see beneath the huge crest....Not sure if it is a girl or boy yet, of course.
hu.gif
Three months old

its not a cross it happens even in the best silkie lines even more so on hatchery birds

Oh really interesting ... SO its a recessive gene????

from what i understand of it yes it is but it might be better to ask that in the genetics forum to be sure

The temp was about 104* so the chickens were really hot. Powder Puff is panting and letting her/his wings droop in the heat

Here is a closeup of PowderPuffs face and comb

Back
Top Bottom