silkie sexing

Pics
Thank you Cali Chick that is very interesting! Powder Puff is adorable ..... Now you have me worried as my 4 month old splash above, who looks just like your powder puff, was voted girl .... Are you leaning girl on powder puff???

Thank you Cali Chick that is very interesting! Powder Puff is adorable ..... Now you have me worried as my 4 month old splash above, who looks just like your powder puff, was voted girl .... Are you leaning girl on powder puff???
Honestly, it is SO difficult to sex any of my current silkies because they all had vaulted skulls and have nice round crests. I'm REALLY watching for streamers at this age. Of course, I'm watching behaviour and comb sizes as well.

-As for Powder Puff....I go back and forth thinking s/hes a pullet and then cockerel! The behaviour is neither shy nor aggressive. And, even the stance varies from walking low (like a girl) to strutting and occasionally chest bumping. With PP I can't even use the single comb as an indicator.
barnie.gif
But.....If I had to guess, I would say Powder Puff is a girl. I hope yours is too.
fl.gif

Honestly, it is SO difficult to sex any of my current silkies because they all had vaulted skulls and have nice round crests. I'm REALLY watching for streamers at this age. Of course, I'm watching behaviour and comb sizes as well.

-As for Powder Puff....I go back and forth thinking s/hes a pullet and then cockerel! The behaviour is neither shy nor aggressive. And, even the stance varies from walking low (like a girl) to strutting and occasionally chest bumping. With PP I can't even use the single comb as an indicator.
barnie.gif
But.....If I had to guess, I would say Powder Puff is a girl. I hope yours is too.
fl.gif
Well a vaulted skull silkie I sold 5 months ago just started crowing... The owner sent me a video of him and he has the biggest fluffiest roundest comb ever!!! So I guess boys don't always have swept back poufs..... He is absolutely stunning too bad she can't keep boys :(

I have silkies with both the standard walnut comb and the single comb. I bought 4 white silkies from someone on here and they have developed single combs, I believe they are from a hatchery and not from their own stock. They are much smaller than my silkies from a local breeder and not as friendly either. Very sweet birds though. I have some chicks that I have I go back and forth on also. Do the pullets get walnut combs to or just the cockerels get them? I hope both do just the pullets don't get as big, other wise, I have alot of cockerels. Here is one of my red- buff colored chicks that I hope is a pullet. This chick is so sweet and tries to fly out of the brooder every time I check on them or feed them, a favorite of mine.

I know they should have walnut combs, but do the pullets get combs also. My chicks are just pets, so I don't really care that they are single combs. I didn't know they were single combs until about a week or 2 ago.

Are they the same chic? The one in the 1 st photo looks girly where as the one on the bottom looks male... Hmmm...

Yes that is the same chick in oth pictures. They change so much from day to day.

Back
Top Bottom