silkie sexing

Pics
They are 7 weeks old. Some have color to their combs and some don't. Thats what I was wondering about, do the pullets get color to their combs to or is it just the cockerels?

What the heck, I'll play along!

I've been on the fence with this guy (or girl) for a long time.
He's 5 1/2 months old.

All of his other friends have been crowing for a while now, so I suspected pullet, but then again it could be a dominance thing.

I see no prominent comb or wattles, but it kinda looks like he could have streamers coming in,
though his friends that are his age have already had their streamers for a while....so I don't know.

I can't really tell by crest, he's a hatchery chick so the crest is poorer quality and hard to judge by.

Sorry about all the pics, I just really want to know!

So my second silkie began to crow today. My two silkies were crowing, one after the other this morning at 5:30am. That means both are roos, right?? :(

We are new to chickens and bought some "silkies" (or so the man called them) at a local flea market. He sold us a "pair" of black silkies and a "pair" of blue silkies. Why we needed two roos, I don't know, but he thought we did... He said that the black pair was 5 months old and the blue pair was 3 months old. My questions are:

Are they really hens and roos in the pairs? Are they really a black and a blue pair? Do their ages seem close to correct?

And an unrelated silkie question...the wing feathers on a couple of them look ratty all the time. Why is that and is it normal? Anything else you see about them that I need to know, please tell me! I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the input! ~Shannon

The black pair

The blue pair...larger one in front (Pepper), smaller one in back (Salty).

Blue pair with the big black one

I have a few more pics if needed but don't want to bore you with them! Thanks again for the info in advance :)

We are new to chickens and bought some "silkies" (or so the man called them) at a local flea market. He sold us a "pair" of black silkies and a "pair" of blue silkies. Why we needed two roos, I don't know, but he thought we did... He said that the black pair was 5 months old and the blue pair was 3 months old. My questions are:

Are they really hens and roos in the pairs? Are they really a black and a blue pair? Do their ages seem close to correct?

And an unrelated silkie question...the wing feathers on a couple of them look ratty all the time. Why is that and is it normal? Anything else you see about them that I need to know, please tell me! I have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the input! ~Shannon

The black pair

The blue pair...larger one in front (Pepper), smaller one in back (Salty).

Blue pair with the big black one

I have a few more pics if needed but don't want to bore you with them! Thanks again for the info in advance :)
Well your "BLUE" pair is not blue but Splash .......I'm no expert on sexing but I think you might have 2 pairs .... Black on right of top pix is boy.... That I can tell you for sure :)

Back
Top Bottom