silkie sexing

Pics
I might be wrong, but looking at the pictures, top is boy and the bottom is a girl. Your boy has the comb and swept back look to his crest and the girl has the rounder fuller crest. They are very pretty birds. I have 2 partridge myself and both are boys, maybe next time.

How old are they layna?
about 3 months, so I'll probably post pics again in another couple months (if I remember) so it will be easier to tell.
I might be wrong, but looking at the pictures, top is boy and the bottom is a girl. Your boy has the comb and swept back look to his crest and the girl has the rounder fuller crest. They are very pretty birds. I have 2 partridge myself and both are boys, maybe next time.
That would be lovely. :) Then I could hatch me out some silkie babies. I hope you're right,

Here's silkie number 1. Whaddya think?

And silkie number 2.

Thanks for any input you guys may have. I've been curious about these little ones for about 3 months now. =P I wanna know what I have!

The first one is a boy. I'm certain.

The second could go either way, I can't really see the comb in the pics so I'm not sure.

The first one is going to be a gorgeous roo.

Hi Layna!!!!!
I didn't realize you had silkies until now. Partridge silkies are one of the few silkies where gender can be determined by color. The boys have more red on them in specific places (hackles/wings) and the girls will have more of the brown penciling. And another tell-tale indicator with your silkies is that they are non-bearded. The males will start getting pretty big, reddish-black wattles. I would recommend looking up some threads or posts in regard to partridge silkies to do a visual comparison. One is called, "Partridge Silkies, nothing else"

Well, that being said, unless yours are mixed (and they want to make a liar out of me)...You have 2 little ladies.
thumbsup.gif
They are cuties!

I could be wrong too if I'm not seeing the red feathering, but I had a black, silkie non-bearded roo that crowed at 2 months. (Click to enlarge this picture...notice development of wattles)

Here's a picture of my surprise blue-partridge at 4 months old:

Here's silkie number 1. Whaddya think?

And silkie number 2.

Thanks for any input you guys may have. I've been curious about these little ones for about 3 months now. =P I wanna know what I have!

Hi Layna!!!!! I didn't realize you had silkies until now. Partridge silkies are one of the few silkies where gender can be determined by color. The boys have more red on them in specific places (hackles/wings) and the girls will have more of the brown penciling. And another tell-tale indicator with your silkies is that they are non-bearded. The males will start getting pretty big, reddish-black wattles. I would recommend looking up some threads or posts in regard to partridge silkies to do a visual comparison. One is called, "Partridge Silkies, nothing else" Well, that being said, unless yours are mixed (and they want to make a liar out of me)...You have 2 little ladies.:thumbsup They are cuties! I could be wrong too if I'm not seeing the red feathering, but I had a black, silkie non-bearded roo that crowed at 2 months. (Click to enlarge this picture...notice development of wattles) Here's a picture of my surprise blue-partridge at 4 months old:
I've been told that my pullet who looks similar in colouring to your surprise blue partridge is actually a regular partridge colouring. If you google image "Partridge Silkie" you will see what I mean. Apparently the blue is very light in colour/
_MG_2888.jpg
My blue partridge pullet
_MG_2488.jpg
Regular partridge pullet

I've been told that my pullet who looks similar in colouring to your surprise blue partridge is actually a regular partridge colouring.
If you google image "Partridge Silkie" you will see what I mean.
Apparently the blue is very light in colour/
_MG_2888.jpg

My blue partridge pullet
_MG_2488.jpg

Regular partridge pullet

On a random note, you have gorgeous silkies
caf.gif

If you ever run out of room, feel free to send me one!
That blue partidge is wonderful.

Last edited:
On a random note, you have gorgeous silkies :caf

If you ever run out of room, feel free to send me one!
That blue partidge is wonderful.
Thank you very much!

They did turn out really well, especially since their parents are nothing to brag about (looks wise - personality can't be beat!). I have six new ones that just hatched. Three also look like partridge, two white and one looks lavender - which is the first from my own lol.

I've been told that my pullet who looks similar in colouring to your surprise blue partridge is actually a regular partridge colouring.
If you google image "Partridge Silkie" you will see what I mean.
Apparently the blue is very light in colour/

My blue partridge pullet

Regular partridge pullet
Yes, I think I've heard that before too. I guess I still call her a Blue Partridge because she hatched out of BBS eggs-LOL!

Did I explain that correctly about the red and penciling for LaynaDon's 2 partridge? Would you agree that they are both pullets?

Layna-You are so lucky to get girls............and you're allowed roosters! I've re-homed over a dozen roosters this year!
barnie.gif

Thank you very much!
They did turn out really well, especially since their parents are nothing to brag about (looks wise - personality can't be beat!). I have six new ones that just hatched. Three also look like partridge, two white and one looks lavender - which is the first from my own lol.
You have amazing colors! I've seen pics of your roo-steve, right? And he looks like he would make good babies :)
I have pretty basic colors.

Just black, white, and one partridge. Oh, and my buff roo. But I've been really hoping to expand that to colors like blue partridge and lavender :)

Back
Top Bottom