Silkie thread!

Quote:
would u happen to have paint sonoran

I guess I need to update my signature
smile.png

i know it wasn't on the list i was just asking anyway

Quote:
Fancy (and obviously unclear) way of saying that I was not sure whether it is more common to find gold or silver in US silkies. When I first got into silkies, almost all white chicks had white to silvery down--that seemed to be pretty universal among all the breeders I spoke with, with the silver defnitely indicating that the bird carried silver, white being a possibility of either. In the last few years I have heard about yellow-downed white chicks, and many seem to think they are more common than white or silver downed ones. I do know that during this time buffs and partridges have become much more popular and common, and they are all gold. And greys seem to have declined in popularity until the last year or so. So, I really do not know which ground colour is more common here in silkies.

I would have to say that in my experience, I think E based US silkies are pretty rare. The very best Black lines probably are E or E^R based, but most are probably not. And if the bird has any other base, chances of the offspring being black when crossed to a white is pretty low.

So if I understand good the US black Silkies are eb or e+ melanized, WOW. This is completely new to me ! Yesterday I spook with Sigrid about Italian breeds, almost completely black except for the Silver wingtriangle and she was a little surprised also !
I know a E/E or ER/ER bird need Ml to can become a complete black bird (difference in both is the green glow on the chest). All other "ground-colors" eWh/eWh, eb/eb and e+/e+ have a wingtriangle (duckwings) so you say the black US Silkies show no sign of a duckwing (gold or Silver) ?

I like to know more about this if possible.

Finding an e+ US silkie is probably even rarer than an E based on. Most are e^b based. e^b blacks usually have enough melanizers to cover the wing triangle and saddle, but often are lacking in covering hackles. Wheaten based birds are only common in partridge or buff; better quality birds tend to be self-buff, but that can be a really difficult colour--combs and skin get too light. Partridge based buffs tend to have darker combs and skin, but have noticeable undercolour and black in wings & tail. Greys are weird. I'm beginning to think the standard requires a blue birchen for males.

Quote:
I was just branching off of what little bit of genetics experience I have so far. From what I do still recall in learning genetics, there wasn't "fish genetics" or "chicken genetics" it was all discussed on a general level which lead me to believe that most genetics work about the same. But... I didn't take any science majors either.
idunno.gif

I will learn as I go!

One of the huge differences between mammals and birds is gender related. In mammals, the gender of the offspring comes from the father; in birds it comes from the mother. For some reason that seems to be a huge stumbling block to a lot of folks. Also, chickens have a HUGE number of chromosome pairs compared with many other creatures that have a wide-spread interest in their genetics.

I know nothing about fish genetics; don't know a lot about fish, for that matter.

I didn't know that gender came from the hen! I also raise horses and the stallion picks the gender. Some stallions have a very high rate of one sex over the other. Do some hens have that ability?

Quote:
So if I understand good the US black Silkies are eb or e+ melanized, WOW. This is completely new to me ! Yesterday I spook with Sigrid about Italian breeds, almost completely black except for the Silver wingtriangle and she was a little surprised also !
I know a E/E or ER/ER bird need Ml to can become a complete black bird (difference in both is the green glow on the chest). All other "ground-colors" eWh/eWh, eb/eb and e+/e+ have a wingtriangle (duckwings) so you say the black US Silkies show no sign of a duckwing (gold or Silver) ?

I like to know more about this if possible.

Finding an e+ US silkie is probably even rarer than an E based on. Most are e^b based. e^b blacks usually have enough melanizers to cover the wing triangle and saddle, but often are lacking in covering hackles. Wheaten based birds are only common in partridge or buff; better quality birds tend to be self-buff, but that can be a really difficult colour--combs and skin get too light. Partridge based buffs tend to have darker combs and skin, but have noticeable undercolour and black in wings & tail. Greys are weird. I'm beginning to think the standard requires a blue birchen for males.

I made an article on these undercolor in buff and red (EU) Silkies on ground-color eb/eb and eWh/eWh and also eWh/eb
123underfluff.jpg

What you call greys is what I work with (eb/ebSilver Partridges) variations.

Last edited:
Quote:

I made an article on these undercolor in buff and red (EU) Silkies on ground-color eb/eb and eWh/eWh and also eWh/eb
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3849/123underfluff.jpg

What you call greys is what I work with (eb/ebSilver Partridges) variations.

Ask Sigi what she thinks of the US grey standard.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom