Silkie thread!

Quote:
Me.
smile.png

sager:)silkies :

Quote:
Lavender is a recessive gene, meaning that it has no affect if present in only one copy. Birds with one copy of a recessive gene are referred to as split. There is no way to tell that the gene is present except from breeding records (one parent was lavender, or produces some lavender offspring when bred to a lavender or another spit).

Ty sonran silkies that helped a lot but i still don't know what split means dose it mean like 2 genes​

Split means that the bird has only one copy of a recessive gene. In the case of lavender, it means the bird is Lav+/lav. Because the gene is recessive, the bird is not lavender in appearance, but it's offspring COULD be lavender if bred to another bird who has at least one copy of lavender.

Quote:
Ty sonran silkies that helped a lot but i still don't know what split means dose it mean like 2 genes

Split means that the bird has only one copy of a recessive gene. In the case of lavender, it means the bird is Lav+/lav. Because the gene is recessive, the bird is not lavender in appearance, but it's offspring COULD be lavender if bred to another bird who has at least one copy of lavender.

o i see ty very much for the help

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I fell in love with her the first time I held her. She just sat in my hand and talked to me
big_smile.png

You're welcome for the link! Who would have thought that black silkies are that uncommon!

sager:)silkies :

Quote:
Lavender is a recessive gene, meaning that it has no affect if present in only one copy. Birds with one copy of a recessive gene are referred to as split. There is no way to tell that the gene is present except from breeding records (one parent was lavender, or produces some lavender offspring when bred to a lavender or another spit).

Ty sonran silkies that helped a lot but i still don't know what split means dose it mean like 2 genes​

I think basically that split means a bird that was born from one or both parents who are lavender that is only a carrier and some to no sign of being lavender on the outside for instance when you breed a black silkie to a lavender silkie, the black having no copy of the lav gene, you will get 25% Lavender, 50% black, and 25% splash. of those black and splash chicks some will carrie the lavender gene and some will not.
For instance a a splash from the hatch may or may not show lavender in its feathers, but will be a carrier of one copy of the lavender gene.
A Black chick could show little to know sign at all of lavender, but still have one copy of the lavender gene.
you won't know if they are split until you breed them. say you breed one of the split splash to a lavender or another split you will get some that have 2 copies of the gene and some only having one(Split). So in all actuallity lets choose a black split, you could say it carries 1 copy of the black gene and 1 copy of the lavender gene (Split). So if you bred it to a black with 2 copies of the black gene you will get more black offspring with 2 copies of the black gene and some with 1 copy of each. some of those could come out lavender or splash and carry the black gene.
I may not be totally right on percentage but does that make sense?

Quote:
Ty sonran silkies that helped a lot but i still don't know what split means dose it mean like 2 genes

I think basically that split means a bird that was born from one or both parents who are lavender that is only a carrier and some to no sign of being lavender on the outside for instance when you breed a black silkie to a lavender silkie, the black having no copy of the lav gene, you will get 25% Lavender, 50% black, and 25% splash. of those black and splash chicks some will carrie the lavender gene and some will not.
For instance a a splash from the hatch may or may not show lavender in its feathers, but will be a carrier of one copy of the lavender gene.
A Black chick could show little to know sign at all of lavender, but still have one copy of the lavender gene.
you won't know if they are split until you breed them. say you breed one of the split splash to a lavender or another split you will get some that have 2 copies of the gene and some only having one(Split). So in all actuallity lets choose a black split, you could say it carries 1 copy of the black gene and 1 copy of the lavender gene (Split). So if you bred it to a black with 2 copies of the black gene you will get more black offspring with 2 copies of the black gene and some with 1 copy of each. some of those could come out lavender or splash and carry the black gene.
I may not be totally right on percentage but does that make sense?

ty that was a lot of help and info

Back
Top Bottom