Silkie thread!

I'm new to Silkies. I have one rooster given to me by a friend. I have 6 coming from Ideal in few weeks. I'm very disappointed in my roo. he has very little crest. I want some with fluffy crests. Are they only in show birds? Does color play a part? Here is a pic for opinions. He has black skin, 5 toes and what looks like single comb to me
If you want good crests you need to go to someone who breeds Silkies, not a hatchery.

The one in the last two pics is bearded and has a vaulted skull. Bearded chicks always look like their cheeks are full of food.

Ok, thanks for teaching me something! I think all 3 of mine are bearded then. Next will be determining the sex. Too bad I can't doo that yet!

Thanks you guys for the tip with the oil on their butts, ill definitely try that. Which one should I use then because I have all three of those? I have vasoline, coconut oil, and olive oil. Which is best? Is it normal for their butts to start becoming bald when its become a constant problem and im constantly washing it off? Some of their bums are starting to look like bare black butts lol. When do they typically get over this and dont have the problem anymore?

Also I went back to pick up a new chick this morning, cause she said she had another black one. Well the only one she had left looked just as sick and tini tiny as the one that died :( I wanted it but I was pretty sure it was going to die so I just got another buff one instead. It looked bigger and healthy with a full tummy so I took it. I really wanted another black one because thats the color that my childhood rooster was and now I dont have any blacks and I cant find one anywhere. Maybe i'll find a black one later one down the road if im lucky. My blue chick is close enough I guess. :)

Oh and would you say its pretty normal for breeders to make you pay for a new chick? I thought maybe she'd exchange it for free since the chick was only 3 days old and I tried everything to save it so it was obviously not going to make it. But nope, i had to pay for a new one. My hubby thought she shouldve replaced it, and I wasent sure if thats normal practice or not for breeders?

Last edited:
Thanks you guys for the tip with the oil on their butts, ill definitely try that. Which one should I use then because I have all three of those? I have vasoline, coconut oil, and olive oil. Which is best? Is it normal for their butts to start becoming bald when its become a constant problem and im constantly washing it off? Some of their bums are starting to look like bare black butts lol. When do they typically get over this and dont have the problem anymore? 

Also I went back to pick up a new chick this morning, cause she said she had another black one. Well the only one she had left looked just as sick and tini tiny as the one that died :( I wanted it but I was pretty sure it was going to die so I just got another buff one instead. It looked bigger and healthy with a full tummy so I took it. I really wanted another black one because thats the color that my childhood rooster was and now I dont have any blacks and I cant find one anywhere. Maybe i'll find a black one later one down the road if im lucky. My blue chick is close enough I guess. :) 

Oh and would you say its pretty normal for breeders to make you pay for a new chick? I thought maybe she'd exchange it for free since the chick was only 3 days old and I tried everything to save it so it was obviously not going to make it. But nope, i had to pay for a new one. My hubby thought she shouldve replaced it, and I wasent sure if thats normal practice or not for breeders? 
it sounds like your broader could be too warm. That's what causes mine to get the pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom