Silkie thread!

Is it bearded like you wanted?@Iluvmysilkies
I am still debating on if it is actually. I was going to ask if you guys thought it might be or not. It was the first time they hatched any babies and she didnt know if her hen was bearded or not. The pic of the mother hen she sent me did look bearded but the crest wasent very big. This chick was the smallest of three, with no tail feathers yet (while the others did) and had more fluff on the cheeks then the others so I am hoping I chose a female and that she might be bearded, though I know it probably wont be as fluffy as my other chicks who are very bearded but oh well lol.

that last picture looks like she's thinking..."I can't believe I'm on thus nest again..but I can't help it, save me from myself!"
Is this normal behavior for all silkie hens? Does getting broody stress them out if they dont have eggs to incubate? Does it ever become a problem for them? Will they still get out, and mingle with everyone and eat/drink fine? I havent had a bunch of silkie hens yet so this will be new to me when mine grow up and I want to know what to expect. I dont really plan on breeding them, but have considered it if I end up with a really pretty rooster I like.

Is this normal behavior for all silkie hens? Does getting broody stress them out if they dont have eggs to incubate? Does it ever become a problem for them? Will they still get out, and mingle with everyone and eat/drink fine? I havent had a bunch of silkie hens yet so this will be new to me when mine grow up and I want to know what to expect. I dont really plan on breeding them, but have considered it if I end up with a really pretty rooster I like. 
hens that are determined to be broody can starve themselves if we aren't Careful. Why don't you stick those new babies underneath her at night so she can go back to her chickeny life?

It is normal behavior for birds with even an ounce of silkie in them. I try to hand feed the persistent ones and make sure they have water nearby. The broody will generally come of the eggs , all hunched up and warning everyone to keep their distance, poop, drink, eat and if time permits have a quick dirt bath.

I dont have any adult birds yet. They are all babies :) I just wanna know what to expect ahead of time. So do you let her just sit on her unfertilized eggs for three weeks if she acts broody? Or can you keep taking the eggs and get her mind off it? Sorry, im completely new when it comes with silkie hens. Ive only had a silkie rooster growing up and then I only recenly got a batch of silkie chicks so hens will be a new thing for me.

I dont have any adult birds yet. They are all babies :) I just wanna know what to expect ahead of time. So do you let her just sit on her unfertilized eggs for three weeks if she acts broody? Or can you keep taking the eggs and get her mind off it? Sorry, im completely new when it comes with silkie hens. Ive only had a silkie rooster growing up and then I only recenly got a batch of silkie chicks so hens will be a new thing for me. 
no need to apologize! It's good to ask these questions!

Eat them* lol
LOLOL
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom