Silkie thread!

@kabhyper1
Such cute babies!

Here are mine that hatched March 22-23.
I thought I posted this last might but guess it didn't go through.
Dinky has some urate stuck in her fluff. I think it's from the stress of moving outside
sad.png

Inky is the paint and I'm pretty sure is a boy
sad.png
. Dinky is the white and I think she's a pullet.
Inky is more than welcome to come live here
wink.png

I had a GORGEOUS splash hen, she was absolutely perfect and was so sweet and mellow--ufortunately that was her downfall too
hit.gif
I had 2 foster puppies here and they had been great around all of the other animals--I went out one day and they were in the coop and had slaughtered my girl while she was in her nesting box.. Needless to say, I called the rescue that day and they were gone..I was DEVASTATED!! My red hen is a sweet girl, my new 'buff' is starting to come aorund and my 2 grey girls are absolutely perfect in every way but I miss my splash like she was a child..

I just discovered I have a white silkie hen with a big ol single black comb. I got her from a big show name breeder and she has excellent type otherwise. Should I cull her? From what I have read it pops up occasionally but she may not produce offspring with it. What would you do? My best hen and roo with perfect combs throw single comb babies, you will know their comb when they hatch. I would definitely keep her and see how the chicks turn out. It's a recessive trait that shows up if both parents have it. But they are the cutest babies! You would never know because their crest is so large.

So, I got some silkie chicks to add to my flock. I have never had them before. Do buff silkie chicks get black spots/dots on their wing tips? They will be two weeks tomorrow.

Originally Posted by mammat

I just discovered I have a white silkie hen with a big ol single black comb. I got her from a big show name breeder and she has excellent type otherwise. Should I cull her? From what I have read it pops up occasionally but she may not produce offspring with it. What would you do?

My best hen and roo with perfect combs throw single comb babies, you will know their comb when they hatch. I would definitely keep her and see how the chicks turn out. It's a recessive trait that shows up if both parents have it. But they are the cutest babies! You would never know because their crest is so large.

I agree ... wait and see how her chicks turn out. She may not throw any, but if she does, you have some nice PQ you can sell to those that aren't interested in breeding, just want a cute/pretty pet.

Back
Top Bottom