Silkie thread!

Quote:
Bred to a correctly combed bird, chances are at most only 25% for incorrect combs. It really depends on what you have to work with and what else is avialable to you. If the bird is otherwise awesome, and a better bird is not available, then using it may well be best. If there are equally nice birds without the flaw, then use those instead. If the single combed bird is a project bird, single combs are probably the last of my worries.

Bred to a correctly combed bird, chances are at most only 25% for incorrect combs. It really depends on what you have to work with and what else is avialable to you. If the bird is otherwise awesome, and a better bird is not available, then using it may well be best. If there are equally nice birds without the flaw, then use those instead. If the single combed bird is a project bird, single combs are probably the last of my worries.
Thank you
old.gif
Im a newbie when it comes to breeding chickens, but bred horses and dogs for years-- I know that what I advised is what I would do if it was either one of those--I figured someone with more experience would chime in and repeat what I said :)

Not mention, it would def never hurt to at least breed her once to see what you get out of her--never know until you try--and esp if she came from a big name breeder and is perfect in every other way--She has a lot to offer her offspring IMO

Thank you
old.gif
Im a newbie when it comes to breeding chickens, but bred horses and dogs for years-- I know that what I advised is what I would do if it was either one of those--I figured someone with more experience would chime in and repeat what I said :)

Not mention, it would def never hurt to at least breed her once to see what you get out of her--never know until you try--and esp if she came from a big name breeder and is perfect in every other way--She has a lot to offer her offspring IMO
I have bred some with flaws and rarely have I ever gotten a chick that has them. I think sometimes incubation has a lot to do with flaws as well as genetics. Just my 2 cents. :) Doesnt hurt to try.

I have bred some with flaws and rarely have I ever gotten a chick that has them. I think sometimes incubation has a lot to do with flaws as well as genetics. Just my 2 cents. :) Doesnt hurt to try.
That my opinion--if she throws mutant ugly babies--keep them as layers...lol

I had to put one of my baby silkies to sleep on fri, my vet said we were only prolonging the enevitable and there was nothing more he could do. Can't believe how much I miss her. She had a vaulted skull which leaked fluid and formed a scab, she was separated for 5 weeks from the others where I kept her with me almost 24/7. She appeared to be dwarfed and her development was far behind the others. But that's what made her beautiful personality!

RIP little dotty

Sleep tight sweet pea!:(

I had to put one of my baby silkies to sleep on fri, my vet said we were only prolonging the enevitable and there was nothing more he could do. Can't believe how much I miss her. She had a vaulted skull which leaked fluid and formed a scab, she was separated for 5 weeks from the others where I kept her with me almost 24/7. She appeared to be dwarfed and her development was far behind the others. But that's what made her beautiful personality!

RIP little dotty

Sleep tight sweet pea!:(

So sorry. :hugs

RIP little dotty

Sleep tight sweet pea!
sad.png
aww sorry to hear that she was beautiful

Back
Top Bottom