Silkie thread!

What happens if you breed a silkie roo with a showgirl hen? .. what are the babies going to look like? .. I am going to be getting some silkies 1 buff silkie roo, 1 Partridge silkie hen, Buff silkie hen and a Blue silkie hen.. But I really want to get a showgirl. . What color should I get for a better breed with my buff silkie?..

According to DH, Arrowroot stopped sitting on the remaining egg this afternoon, probably because the two chicks were running everywhere in the coop and not paying much attention to mama's calls to come back. She is now nesting with them in the corner of the coop near the people door, as far from the pop door to the pen as possible. I checked tonight, after getting home from work, and all were quiet, the other three Silkies were roosting, mama and chicks were in the corner, and the remaining egg had been rolled out of the floor nest. I removed it from the coop and will deal with it tomorrow.

is it normal for the silkies to stay in or near the coop? the rest of my birds will wander the yard but the silkies stay within 10 feet of it and midnight my black hen will stay inside most of the time or at the doorway

they look like tribbles

lau.gif
OMG! They really did look like tribbles!!!! LMAO!

According to DH, Arrowroot stopped sitting on the remaining egg this afternoon, probably because the two chicks were running everywhere in the coop and not paying much attention to mama's calls to come back. She is now nesting with them in the corner of the coop near the people door, as far from the pop door to the pen as possible. I checked tonight, after getting home from work, and all were quiet, the other three Silkies were roosting, mama and chicks were in the corner, and the remaining egg had been rolled out of the floor nest. I removed it from the coop and will deal with it tomorrow.

She sounds like a smart momma, even though it's unfortunate about the remaining egg.
Just out of curiosity, do you have an incubator to use as a backup?

Too late now but that egg may have still been good. I've had them leave eggs to take care of chicks and I put the eggs inside in a home made incubator and they hatched! Congrats on the peeps!

is it normal for the silkies to stay in or near the coop? the rest of my birds will wander the yard but the silkies stay within 10 feet of it and midnight my black hen will stay inside most of the time or at the doorway

When mine were young they were afraid to come out of the house, but now they are the first ones out and run all over their inclosed yard. I don't let them out of their pen because of predators. Yours sound smart to stay close since they are sitting ducks for hawks, cats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom