Silkie thread!

They seem like they are fine, one has pasty butt. I separated them from my others, which are fine no bumps. One has done of those bumps on top of the nose and on the eye lid. I'm wories it's fowl pox

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, Chinese silkies did not have the huge bonnets that we are seeing now. This is a result of genetic engineering, due to ' supply and demand. I have silkies in my garden and also in the main coops and have observed them over long periods of time, those that cannot see through their bonnets are clumsy, shy and far more reserved than those without.
If you have floppy crested birds and their vision is impaired by the physical obstruction , I can't see that trimming feathers around the eyes and beard is any different to you or I cutting our hair once it becomes a nuisance. Just my opinion , from what I have observed in many generations of my own birds.
smile.png

As always it's a matter of preference and just wanted to share what works for us. That's why I like to use JMHO since I don't mean it to be the only way to do things. Many have pens and flocks of Silkies yet I only have 2 little girls - many of us on these threads don't have huge flocks. My posts are for info only for owners to see a variety of options available. I never trimmed our Silkies because after their pullet stage and after a molt they have big fluffy crests but it's only a matter of a couple weeks or a month before the crests flatten, matte, or get trimmed naturally by a fellow Silkie. My two nibble each other's eye area gently and nowhere else. My girls cock their heads to the side when their crests are full if they want to see overhead or behind them so we never found it necessary to give haircuts. My Silkies will even trim the muff around the Ameraucana's eye if it starts getting too big - they stay in the eye area only. They don't appear any more vision impaired with full crests as without and we observe them constantly as if they were human kids - lol! Silkies as with most chicken breeds (with or without crests/beards) will be alert around humans - until you start digging in the garden and then you can't get them to stay off your boots or shovel -
lol.png
!

they seem fine, but one of them has stuff on its peck. I'm afraid it's fowl pox. Is there anything I can do for them? They are about 3/4 weeks old. I separated them from the others, I hope they don't get it.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new to silkies, I bought 2 ftom a sweet 14 year old girl. They both have something on them. Need help identifing it.

they seem fine, but one of them has stuff on its peck. I'm afraid it's fowl pox. Is there anything I can do for them? They are about 3/4 weeks old. I separated them from the others, I hope they don't get it.

I would get some generic cream used for jock itch, athelete's foot or a yeast infection and put it on there every day. What ever it is, there's a good chance it's a fungal thing.

Back
Top Bottom