Silkie thread!

well its been lovely having my silkie chicks, i was wondering when to move them in the big coop with the other hens. how old? and how because i have dual p birds and silkies are bantams so they will never be the same size.
they still dont like me :(

Hi folks! Would any of you know which is smaller, a bantam faverolles or a Silkie?

Read descriptions. Most articles on chicken breeds will give you both the LF and bantam weights. My understanding from research I've done is that the Silkie bantams are the largest bantams therefore their eggs are the largest of the bantams. However, I have two Silkie bantams and one is very little (2.2 lb) while the other is very full and fluffy and weighs more (2.5 lb). I believe it is safe to say that by weight comparison the Silkie is larger than any other U.S. bantam breed.

Read descriptions.  Most articles on chicken breeds will give you both the LF and bantam weights.  My understanding from research I've done is that the Silkie bantams are the largest bantams therefore their eggs are the largest of the bantams.  However, I have two Silkie bantams and one is very little (2.2 lb) while the other is very full and fluffy and weighs more (2.5 lb).  I believe it is safe to say that by weight comparison the Silkie is larger than any other U.S. bantam breed.
:goodpost: much better explanation than mine!!

@prizepete sorry about your roo,
sad.png
my bubbles (not a silkie) is a boy but my problem is he won't crow! I love roosters crowing!

Last edited:
Read descriptions. Most articles on chicken breeds will give you both the LF and bantam weights. My understanding from research I've done is that the Silkie bantams are the largest bantams therefore their eggs are the largest of the bantams. However, I have two Silkie bantams and one is very little (2.2 lb) while the other is very full and fluffy and weighs more (2.5 lb). I believe it is safe to say that by weight comparison the Silkie is larger than any other U.S. bantam breed.
yes, that's perfect!
goodpost.gif

What I did was move them into a puppy crate. I put the crate in the coop. Then they see each other all the time. But can't get picked on by the bigger ones. I waite untill all there feathers have all come in. For some reason they will pick on them if I don't waite.

Last edited:
What I did was move them into a puppy crate. I put the crate in the coop. Then they see each other all the time. But can't get picked on by the bigger ones. I waite untill all there feathers have all come in. For some reason they will pick on them if I don't waite.

It's always wise to introduce them gently. The chicks should be fully feathered in by the time they are old enough to leave the brooder lamp. Normally I would not put the youngsters in the main coop until they are adult size unless they have a momma to protect them.

Just popping in to share some pics
wink.png

Ahhh, gangly, awkward baby Silkies
big_smile.png

Some serious photobombing:

Maybelle with her brood of Easter and Olive Eggers. She's such a wonderful momma!

Ellie Mae and her little brood of Sizzles.

Some more adorable little nuggets.

Not Silkies, but they're so stinkin' cute, how could I not share?

Back
Top Bottom