Silkie thread!

[COLOR=333333]Hey there everyone! popping in for some help/advice....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]so im hatching with one of my broody silkie for a third time now. just on day 3 she took 2 eggs from her nest and rolled them all the way across the coop to another corner so she wouldnt sit on them. one was a clear, the other im not sure...i saw veining the other day but now i see its not as good of veining as the other eggs that are moving..its also a tad watery looking and i havent looked long enough for movement. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]isnt it crazy when they know there are duds?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]now, on day 7, my other two silkies have decided to join all the fun. they are piled upon each other splitting the 6 eggs. im hoping they dont break them, but honestly i have no idea what to do when i separate for hatching. i normally move my broody thats hatching but everyone is sitting...LOL[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]have anyone had any luck hatching and leaving the chicks and hen in the coop? there are 3 broodies, one off and on broody and a rooster. thought?[/COLOR]

I have successfully hatched this summer whilst leaving the mother's and eggs\chicks in the coop. (Not Silkie's as mine are too young) My Wyandotte and Speckledy were happy nesting in the duck's bed but we moved them in to individual dog crates within the coop, eggs and all before the ducks smashed everything. It worked well and we have various chicks now running around with the flock with no problems at all.

Hey there everyone! popping in for some help/advice....

so im hatching with one of my broody silkie for a third time now. just on day 3 she took 2 eggs from her nest and rolled them all the way across the coop to another corner so she wouldnt sit on them. one was a clear, the other im not sure...i saw veining the other day but now i see its not as good of veining as the other eggs that are moving..its also a tad watery looking and i havent looked long enough for movement.
isnt it crazy when they know there are duds?

now, on day 7, my other two silkies have decided to join all the fun. they are piled upon each other splitting the 6 eggs. im hoping they dont break them, but honestly i have no idea what to do when i separate for hatching. i normally move my broody thats hatching but everyone is sitting...LOL

have anyone had any luck hatching and leaving the chicks and hen in the coop? there are 3 broodies, one off and on broody and a rooster. thought?

I usually separate the broodies too like @Fancychooklady for the same reason she does. Last time I let 2 broody silkies sit together and they hatched about 6 babies between the two. They shared raising them till they were about a week old then one of them managed to steal all the babies and wouldn't let the other one near them lol. They're a mess
tongue.png

Here are two black silkie mom, bantam Easter egger dad chicks. They are really cute. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Here is dad

Hey everyone!

Happy to say I am now a part of the "Silkie Team" !

I bought my three today from a local breeder and I have no idea what sex they are but will love them all the same!

Here's a picture:

^ The light gray (which she called Lavender) is Keira, The Paint in the middle is Aspen, and the Blue at the end is Dakota.
The one's on both end barely hatched yesterday and the one in the middle is about a week old.

^ The one behind one the middle is Aspen when she first hatched! Although you can't really see her,
I just wanted to show this picture so to show off how cute Paint Silkies are when first born!! (*This is the breeders picture)

The grit is for three older chicks that I have in there*

I can't wait for them all to grow! I know the breeder (Marie) is on this site as well! She has such a cute little farm in her backyard
and it's such a blessing to have her only 10 minutes away from me because I live in the Los Angeles suburbs!

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Happy to say I am now a part of the "Silkie Team" ! I bought my three today from a local breeder and I have no idea what sex they are but will love them all the same! Here's a picture: ^ The light gray (which she called Lavender) is Keira, The Paint in the middle is Aspen, and the Blue at the end is Dakota. The one's on both end barely hatched yesterday and the one in the middle is about a week old. ^ The one behind one the middle is Aspen when she first hatched! Although you can't really see her, I just wanted to show this picture so to show off how cute Paint Silkies are when first born!! (*This is the breeders picture) The grit is for three older chicks that I have in there* I can't wait for them all to grow! I know the breeder (Marie) is on this site as well! She has such a cute little farm in her backyard and it's such a blessing to have her only 10 minutes away from me because I live in the Los Angeles suburbs!
Too cute! Congratulations

I have 5 silkies from a breeder. Two buff, two white and one blue(or black). The blue one is a roo. Is it likely that any of the buff or white pullets are genetically related to the roo? I plan to keep him, but I'm not wanting them inbreeding. I'm a total newbie to the color genetics thing. Here they are.

Thanks for any info!

Back
Top Bottom