Silkie thread!

My best silkies this year are both males.. I breed to the SOP. My best male is a white just purchased from Karen Larson of CatDance Farm who came from champion parents. He is not just a pretty boy, he is a living sweet heart. His name is Prince charming. A Blue Cream cockerel I bred from my project pens. He is one of my best silkies I bred myself. His name is Poi. Just six months old. Both are show quality which means fpr me, they could be shown right now because of quality and condition. I'm not prepared to show this year but will in the Spring. I currently have fifty silkies over the age of sixteen weeks.
Mumsy III..... What is your advise for starting to breed SQ Silkies? Where do you start... Where do you purchase your birds?

Lot's of breeders throw the term show quality around and to some it means any bird with no DQ or maybe one or two defects. SQ can't be determined in eggs from SQ stock or even from champion parents. Neither can young chicks be determined as SQ. Some breeders call a bird SQ only if it has placed in a sanctioned show against it's peers in numbers. Some call a bird SQ if it came out of a winning pen of breeders. I believe it should also mean a bird not only has next to no defects but is in show condition. A bird that with very little preparation should be able to picked right put of a pen and entered in a show.

I haven't shown yet so my birds aren't winners. But I have faith in their quality that I won't be afraid to enter them. That is if they don't go into a molt right before a show. Or all their foot feathers break off or crest gets snatched out by a pen mate.

I do a lot of online research of breeders with the type of silkie I like. I take pictures of silkies at shows I like. I read a lot. Qwning a current copy of the SOP and knowing the description of my favorite varieties by heart. Joining the ASBC and reading the forum, copying the breeders info for my State. Getting contact info and then getting on waiting lists for eggs or birds. I save up my $. When it comes to shipped eggs, never spend what you are not prepared to lose. It is a huge gamble. I believe a great male is a better investment than dozens of chicks that may or may not produce that one awesome bird. One great male can spread his DNA around faster than one great hen.

Sweet Peggy.One of my oldest hens is four years old. She is out of a Sheryl Butler hatched egg.

Lot's of breeders throw the term show quality around and to some it means any bird with no DQ or maybe one or two defects. SQ can't be determined in eggs from SQ stock or even from champion parents. Neither can young chicks be determined as SQ. Some breeders call a bird SQ only if it has placed in a sanctioned show against it's peers in numbers. Some call a bird SQ if it came out of a winning pen of breeders. I believe it should also mean a bird not only has next to no defects but is in show condition. A bird that with very little preparation should be able to picked right put of a pen and entered in a show. I haven't shown yet so my birds aren't winners. But I have faith in their quality that I won't be afraid to enter them. That is if they don't go into a molt right before a show. Or all their foot feathers break off or crest gets snatched out by a pen mate. I do a lot of online research of breeders with the type of silkie I like. I take pictures of silkies at shows I like. I read a lot. Qwning a current copy of the SOP and knowing the description of my favorite varieties by heart. Joining the ASBC and reading the forum, copying the breeders info for my State. Getting contact info and then getting on waiting lists for eggs or birds. I save up my $. When it comes to shipped eggs, never spend what you are not prepared to lose. It is a huge gamble. I believe a great male is a better investment than dozens of chicks that may or may not produce that one awesome bird. One great male can spread his DNA around faster than one great hen. Sweet Peggy.One of my oldest hens is four years old. She is out of a Sheryl Butler hatched egg.
Mumsy, thank you so much for your valuable information. It makes a lot of sense. Peggy is awesome!!

Last edited:
I purchased 2 from a local breeder & the other 4 came from eggs of my BIL flock. They are just pet quality. I know nothing about breeding SQ silkies. I'm just a beginner here lol, sorry can't help you with that one.

Chicken Lady....ooops, I meant to tag somebody else. But I'm sure your Silkies are beautiful nonetheless
1f600.png
No problem
1f60a.png

Thank you for all the kind comments. Truly.

Every body is a beginner at one time or another. I spent a decade with pet quality silkies and loved every minute with them. But breeding them and expecting better type got me no where. Just lots more pet quality silkies. Four years ago I started over with hatching eggs from just two breeders. I added new boys recently to infuse my flock with fresh blood from one of those breeders. Now the real trick is not throwing every hen in the flock with those two boys. Best to the best and using hens that will compliment the boys. Then back again. Focusing on the traits you want to improve each season. Improving your silkies this way will happen but not over night.

You really can be very happy with what you have. I love silkies. All of them. Hatching and growing out each new generation is hard work but also very enjoyable. It's a wonderful hobby.

Peggy is such a little character. I never trim her crest. She can see just fine. I adore that little girl.

Thank you for all the kind comments. Truly.

Every body is a beginner at one time or another. I spent a decade with pet quality silkies and loved every minute with them. But breeding them and expecting better type got me no where. Just lots more pet quality silkies. Four years ago I started over with hatching eggs from just two breeders. I added new boys recently to infuse my flock with fresh blood from one of those breeders. Now the real trick is not throwing every hen in the flock with those two boys. Best to the best and using hens that will compliment the boys. Then back again. Focusing on the traits you want to improve each season. Improving your silkies this way will happen but not over night.

You really can be very happy with what you have. I love silkies. All of them. Hatching and growing out each new generation is hard work but also very enjoyable. It's a wonderful hobby.

Peggy is such a little character. I never trim her crest. She can see just fine. I adore that little girl.

I agree, some Silkies are so endearing, some are pistols, some are dainty little royalty, some are super-comical, some are outgoing and curious, but all-in-all just a fabulous little bird!

Lot's of breeders throw the term show quality around and to some it means any bird with no DQ or maybe one or two defects. SQ can't be determined in eggs from SQ stock or even from champion parents. Neither can young chicks be determined as SQ. Some breeders call a bird SQ only if it has placed in a sanctioned show against it's peers in numbers. Some call a bird SQ if it came out of a winning pen of breeders. I believe it should also mean a bird not only has next to no defects but is in show condition. A bird that with very little preparation should be able to picked right put of a pen and entered in a show. I haven't shown yet so my birds aren't winners. But I have faith in their quality that I won't be afraid to enter them. That is if they don't go into a molt right before a show. Or all their foot feathers break off or crest gets snatched out by a pen mate. I do a lot of online research of breeders with the type of silkie I like. I take pictures of silkies at shows I like. I read a lot. Qwning a current copy of the SOP and knowing the description of my favorite varieties by heart. Joining the ASBC and reading the forum, copying the breeders info for my State. Getting contact info and then getting on waiting lists for eggs or birds. I save up my $. When it comes to shipped eggs, never spend what you are not prepared to lose. It is a huge gamble. I believe a great male is a better investment than dozens of chicks that may or may not produce that one awesome bird. One great male can spread his DNA around faster than one great hen. Sweet Peggy.One of my oldest hens is four years old. She is out of a Sheryl Butler hatched egg.
Agree, there is no such thing as SQ eggs or chicks. Just because the parents did well at any given show , does not mean that their offspring will. Health factors, feed regimes and interbreeding can impact the overall outcome. A comb equates to 4 points in the overall judging , so it is far more important to get ' type ' right.

When it comes to breeding for show quality (great type and condition) it is key to remember your focus and goals in your breeding program. A show is a beauty contest and winners come from the opinion of that judge on that day. Defects, in comb, toe placement, foot feathering, crest and such are valued in points. In the USA competition in the silkie classes can be very steep. Especially in the popular colors like white, Black, and Blue/Splash. A point here or there can be the difference from placing and champion row. Judging a class of equally stunning whites can come down to minute details in condition. Not winning or even placing is not going to make me flip my breeding goals around. I breed to the American SOP because I want to improve the breed and the standard for USA silkies is pleasing to my eyes. Going to shows next year is something I aspire to do so I can learn and improve my efforts. Also, it just looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom