Silkie thread!

this is my silkie hen she is a splash i think she is about a year old i just bought her about a week ago, i was wondering if she is good enough for a show?

Your Splash is adorable. As for show there are SOPs to meet plus the judges' subjective opinions. People who show Silkies, or any breed, really pamper their birds a lot for show in advance for days/weeks -- sometimes keeping them in separate clean pens where the feet feathers don't get damaged or soiled, where the crests/beards are not worn off from outdoor foraging so the head feathers can be kept in pristine condition, special diet, special grooming products, etc. After those efforts a bird will hopefully be ready for show. My outdoor foraging bearded Silkies wear down their beautiful plumage to the point it's hard to tell if they would've shown well.had they not been free-range babies. We were certain our little Black Silkie had beautiful plumage as a round-feathered pullet with a fluffy appearance you love to see in Silkies but after 4 years of being an outdoor bird she shows wear with broken off feet feathers, matted face, cobwebs and debris in her "hair" -- certainly not the pristine little pullet we first brought home. Here are our happy go-lucky outdoor Silkies.

BLACK SILKIE PULLET - ONE ADORABLE LITTLE FLUFFBALL.

AT 41/2 YRS OLD SHE IS A SILLY BUSY OUTDOOR CHICKEN W/ HARDLY ANY OF THE PRISTINE FEATHERS SHE HAD AS A PULLET.

A PRETTY LITTLE 6-MO-OLD PARTRIDGE PULLET FROM ABOVE.

THE PARTRIDGE IS 5-YRS-OLD NOW AND NOT THE SAME PRETTY LITTLE FLUFFBALL SHE WAS AS A PULLET BUT SHE IS OUR DAINTY LITTLE LADY NEVERTHELESS:

Your Splash is adorable. As for show there are SOPs to meet plus the judges' subjective opinions. People who show Silkies, or any breed, really pamper their birds a lot for show in advance for days/weeks -- sometimes keeping them in separate clean pens where the feet feathers don't get damaged or soiled, where the crests/beards are not worn off from outdoor foraging so the head feathers can be kept in pristine condition, special diet, special grooming products, etc. After those efforts a bird will hopefully be ready for show. My outdoor foraging bearded Silkies wear down their beautiful plumage to the point it's hard to tell if they would've shown well.had they not been free-range babies. We were certain our little Black Silkie had beautiful plumage as a round-feathered pullet with a fluffy appearance you love to see in Silkies but after 4 years of being an outdoor bird she shows wear with broken off feet feathers, matted face, cobwebs and debris in her "hair" -- certainly not the pristine little pullet we first brought home. Here are our happy go-lucky outdoor Silkies.

BLACK SILKIE PULLET - ONE ADORABLE LITTLE FLUFFBALL.

AT 41/2 YRS OLD SHE IS A SILLY BUSY OUTDOOR CHICKEN W/ HARDLY ANY OF THE PRISTINE FEATHERS SHE HAD AS A PULLET.

A PRETTY LITTLE 6-MO-OLD PARTRIDGE PULLET FROM ABOVE.

THE PARTRIDGE IS 5-YRS-OLD NOW AND NOT THE SAME PRETTY LITTLE FLUFFBALL SHE WAS AS A PULLET BUT SHE IS OUR DAINTY LITTLE LADY NEVERTHELESS:

your silkies are gorgeous, what is plumage and what does SOP stand for?

Mixed colors, sorry. I should have been more specific. A lady down the road from me gave them to me for free bc I bought the 5 chicks (show quality lines, only $20 total!) that she had. I prefer the mixed colors over standard even if I can't show them. I think they're gorgeous. I can just never find any that look nice. This was a shock. I'll try to get some better pictures some time today. She said they've been broody for a while, so they aren't as fluffy as usual. I still think they look pristine though. XD

Last edited:
I've been reading on here and trying to research it but have a question about broody Silkies. I have 1 that is a year old and been broody at least 4 times(Stupid chicken). I don't have roosters and cant have anymore then I have now. So far she has been sitting almost 3 weeks, I go out several times a day and remove her and put her outside with the others.(I work from home) I've read some put in buckets of ice water, I think that's mean, others say put in wire cage or remove her from nest area completely or just have her wait it out, and that it may take a month or two. Mean time while she is brooding I now have another that is sitting in the same nest with her. Lordy these chickens are driving me crazy!!
Can anyone tell me what has worked for them.

Can white silkie babies have spots on them?

Are they black spots? If so, you most likely have paint silkies. Not whites. :)

I've been reading on here and trying to research it but have a question about broody Silkies.  I have 1 that is a year old and been broody at least 4 times(Stupid chicken).  I don't have roosters and cant have anymore then I have now. So far she has been sitting almost 3 weeks, I go out several times a day and remove her and put her outside with the others.(I work from home) I've read some put in buckets of ice water, I think that's mean, others say put in wire cage or remove her from nest area completely or just have her wait it out, and that it may take a month or two. Mean time while she is brooding I now have another that is sitting in the same nest with her. Lordy these chickens are driving me crazy!! 
Can anyone tell me what has worked for them.

I had a duccle go broody. I didn't let her hatch chicks. Rain got in the nesting box and she quit sitting on them. So I know that method can work. I think it's a little harsh though. Just make sure there are no eggs under her and she stkll eats and drinks, and she'll eventually get over it. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom