Silkie thread!

Hi everyone! I'm brand spanking new Bantams, I have a couple 2ish week silkies (and a four other Bantams). I'm wondering if I should keep the Bantams as second flock or if they'll free range with my main flock? My current flock of Standards consists of 18 hens and a cockerel.

Hi everyone! I'm brand spanking new Bantams, I have a couple 2ish week silkies (and a four other Bantams). I'm wondering if I should keep the Bantams as second flock or if they'll free range with my main flock? My current flock of Standards consists of 18 hens and a cockerel.

Silkies don't see well with the big crests. That makes it easier for predators to get them. I do not ever free range silkies unattended. I have birds who don't even see me until I'm only a foot or two away and then startle.

Silkies also tend to be picked on because of the vision issue. Since silkies many times have vaulted skulls, the very thin to missing in spots skull bone can make a head peck fatal. Head pecks are a part of chicken behavior.

I had to put down one of my favorite people friendly silkie roosters because of a head peck by a fed up elderly ameraucana hen. He was aggressive towards anything that wasn't a silkie and she was done with it. The peck left him blind. He did live for six months after, but he lost weight and was obviously depressed by the loss of sight. I had him with a few elderly silkie hens and one called him like a chick to the food and water and into the house for bed. Him lasting so long was probably her doing. He preferred to just hide. I had to tube feed him for long while.

I had to put down one of my favorite people friendly silkie roosters because of a head peck by a fed up elderly ameraucana hen. He was aggressive towards anything that wasn't a silkie and she was done with it. The peck left him blind. He did live for six months after, but he lost weight and was obviously depressed by the loss of sight. I had him with a few elderly silkie hens and one called him like a chick to the food and water and into the house for bed. Him lasting so long was probably her doing. He preferred to just hide. I had to tube feed him for long while.

I am so sorry about your rooster =(.

I have a grow-out coop and fence run that'll I'll keep the bantams in. I purchased them for their personalities and renowned mothering abilities. They're being raised with a Dark Cornish Rock, who I will integrate with the main flock to protect the Silkies and Polish.

Thanks for the advice!

I am so sorry about your rooster =(.

I have a grow-out coop and fence run that'll I'll keep the bantams in. I purchased them for their personalities and renowned mothering abilities. They're being raised with a Dark Cornish Rock, who I will integrate with the main flock to protect the Silkies and Polish.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks. He's been gone a few years but I have great grandchildren of his in my breeding program.

I have the silkies raise all chicks here. They tend to teach them to be calmer.

Silkies act different than my large fowl. Even the silkie crosses act like silkies and not their ameraucana and EE mothers

Hi there!! I currently have 4 LF, a Cochin bantam, a young female Brabanter that was hatched by a Silkie, 4 adult Silkies (including 1 roo), 5 seramas (1 roo) and 9 baby Silkies (3 girls 6 boys. Of course.) the baby Silkies are about 7 weeks old. They all free range together and share the same huge coop. There’s enough room for all of them that’s there’s rarely an issue. The Cochin can be a bit of a brat to everyone, not just the Silkies. She’s one of our 5 “originals” and she knows it. Our Australorp hatched some eggs and someone (i think an EE) pecked 2 of them to death to she and her 4 babies are confined to the run till they get bigger.

Hi there!! I currently have 4 LF, a Cochin bantam, a young female Brabanter that was hatched by a Silkie, 4 adult Silkies (including 1 roo), 5 seramas (1 roo) and 9 baby Silkies (3 girls 6 boys. Of course.) the baby Silkies are about 7 weeks old. They all free range together and share the same huge coop. There’s enough room for all of them that’s there’s rarely an issue. The Cochin can be a bit of a brat to everyone, not just the Silkies. She’s one of our 5 “originals” and she knows it. Our Australorp hatched some eggs and someone (i think an EE) pecked 2 of them to death to she and her 4 babies are confined to the run till they get bigger.

Ohhh are Cochin's usually bratty? They're two of the bantams I got (at least I *think* they're Cochins).

Is it usual for Buff Silkie chicks to have darking barring on the wings? These guys are 2 weeks old, so I know the feathering will change when they have their adult molt.

Ohhh are Cochin's usually bratty? They're two of the bantams I got (at least I *think* they're Cochins).

Is it usual for Buff Silkie chicks to have darking barring on the wings? These guys are 2 weeks old, so I know the feathering will change when they have their adult molt.

Ive not had buffs so I can't say.

Not had cochins either

I have a question that has provably been asked a thousand times and answered just as many, but I couldn't seem to find it. Anyways, I was wandering how to breed a splash Silkie ? Is it something that just happens or can you plan it ? I have a partridge, 2 blues, a white, a black, and a yellow/gold baby. I would love to have a splash but can't find one around my area, (Jacksonville, Fl.).

I have a question that has provably been asked a thousand times and answered just as many, but I couldn't seem to find it. Anyways, I was wandering how to breed a splash Silkie ? Is it something that just happens or can you plan it ? I have a partridge, 2 blues, a white, a black, and a yellow/gold baby. I would love to have a splash but can't find one around my area, (Jacksonville, Fl.).
Sorry the baby is a buff, I had a brain freeze until it was too late to correct. LOL:he

Back
Top Bottom