Silkie thread!

Hi everyone, my 9 month old black silkie has a bare chest and belly. I'm hoping it's from molting? But I read somewhere that chickens don't molt their first year. I'm just at my one year mark with chickens and haven't dealt with any molting yet. If you need pics I'll get them. I hope it's just molting and nothing serious.

Is she broody cause hens have a brood patch. That’s a bald area on the belly where they can have direct skin contact to the eggs to keep them warm and keep chicks warm when they hatch. Take a pic but I think it’s probably normal.

Going to buy some splash and calico eggs in the spring, however I know the kids would love it if we let a couple of our eggs hatch.. just as pets, doesnt need to stay "pure."

Anyway, we LOVE the frizzled feathers and any color that is not solid. If you could only hatch one egg lol... which 2 would you put together to have the greatest chance at Frizzle Satin AND a mix of colors? (Also how can we get a paint silkie)

Hens - chocolate frizzle satin
Black and white mottled frizzle satin
Very light splash smooth satin

Boys - Chocolate cuckoo smooth satin
Black and white paint smooth satin

I also have solid silkies...black hens, light buff of both sexes, white of both, partridge hen.

Going to buy some splash and calico eggs in the spring, however I know the kids would love it if we let a couple of our eggs hatch.. just as pets, doesnt need to stay "pure."

Anyway, we LOVE the frizzled feathers and any color that is not solid. If you could only hatch one egg lol... which 2 would you put together to have the greatest chance at Frizzle Satin AND a mix of colors? (Also how can we get a paint silkie)

Hens - chocolate frizzle satin
Black and white mottled frizzle satin
Very light splash smooth satin

Boys - Chocolate cuckoo smooth satin
Black and white paint smooth satin

I also have solid silkies...black hens, light buff of both sexes, white of both, partridge hen.

Your best chance of a nice colored paint is to put your paint in with a black.

Question on all the experts out there. Does this cockerel look ok to breed with regarding comb....thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4532.JPG
    IMG_4532.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4534.JPG
    IMG_4534.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4535.JPG
    IMG_4535.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG