Silkie thread!

FYI ~ This is from a Vet friend of mine who lives in the Netherlands. This is her advice and orders for Scaly Leg Mites:

For a case this severe the petroleum jelly will probably not be enough. FOR 5 DAYS: Get Tricide-Neo powder (labelled for fish use) - dosage 1 tablespoon per gallon, stays stable for 5 days. Once a day, soak the chicken's entire legs in the water 3-5 minutes. Do not leave part of the legs above water, or mites can survive by climbing up. Afterwards, apply Campho-Phenique Antiseptic Liquid(get at drugstore or pharmacy). Hold the chicken on your lap tilted slightly and dribble medicine on all scaley areas of feet and legs, especially any areas that are raw. Very gently massage in. Buy an eyedropper for this so you don't waste medicine, and so you can most easily apply. Put the medicine bottle in a small glass to prevent it from tipping.
This combination treatment drowns & kills mites, helps prevent and cure infection and applies safe painkiller safe for poultry so they are more comfortable....... After the 5 day treatment outlined above, apply the Vaseline method for at least a week to ensure any eggs hatched in the meantime are suffocated. Good luck!
Put in all-new bedding at least in areas where the chickens nest or hang out a lot. Dust those areas plus all roosts with natural Food-Grade Diatomaceous Earth or Sevin dust (5%)

I'm picking up these 2 today! There owner can't take care of them the way she would like, so they are coming to live with 8 other silkies, a duck.....RIR,..I was just looking around....I have 4 Barred Rocks! Stinkers! Somehow they have worked there numbers up, Hmmmm. L
ooks like I'm likin these Barred Rocks.....they are my curious ones, they are soooo funny!

Well I don't see any in the poop.  If there aren't any then it can't be what's going on, right?  If there was a large enough load for them to die then I'd be seeing a lot of worms!  it has been about 24 hours now.  when I went out this morning I examined the poops LOL

I don't think you would always see the worms depending on what kind of worm, that would be a good question for Dawg. I know you would see tape worms, be very thankful you don't have them their hard to get rid of. How are they acting? Do they look like they're feeling better?
I put I tablespoon ACV in a gallon of water, if its to strong and they're not use to it they might not want to drink it. Add again every time you change the water.

Sheeshshe here's a reply from Dawg
Sometimes you see worms in poop after worming, sometimes you dont. It depends how heavy the wormload is. Worms are either paralyzed or killed when the wormer is introduced into their system. The worms detach from the intestinal lining and are normally absorbed as protein in the digestive tract. If there's alot of them, some will be excreted. The type of worm really doesnt matter. The most common worms I've seen excreted are large roundworms and tapeworms (not everytime I have wormed.) I have seen cecal and capillary worms once before in feces. (Had to use a magnifying glass to clearly see the capillary worms though.) Jim

Hope your chickens are doing better.

I'm picking up these 2 today! There owner can't take care of them the way she would like, so they are coming to live with 8 other silkies, a duck.....RIR,..I was just looking around....I have 4 Barred Rocks! Stinkers! Somehow they have worked there numbers up, Hmmmm. L
ooks like I'm likin these Barred Rocks.....they are my curious ones, they are soooo funny!

Congratulation on your new addition!!! I can't really see them, would you mind adding the pictures again but this time in medium size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenluver100

Here are some of my silkies.
smile.png

Sweet, happy flock! Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:
I have seen so many post about sick chickens. I just went through this and learned I needed an emergency kit to have around to get me by until I could 1) take my chicken to the vet or 2) get to a store to buy a large container of the drug I need. There is a kit that is only $25 and has almost everything you could want or need for a chicken emergency. Here is the link: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com

First State Vet Supply
www.firststatevetsupply.com

One thing everyone should have is Oxine and use it to spray your coop out a few times a week. It is a disinfectant.

Another is Probiotics, Vitamins, and Electrolytes. After treating a chicken with Antibiotics you need to replenish their gut with the good stuff.

Sicknesses can happen so suddenly and if you're like me where we have no feed stores or even Tractor Supply that carries Antibiotics you could find yourself high and dry and stuff takes time to get it ordered and shipped to your house. Be ready with the Emergency Kit from #FirstStateVetSupply aka #Dr.Brown.

Back
Top Bottom